How is this Security Setup?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by IceCube1010, May 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Hi

Vista FW
    AntiVir Personal 8.0
    Threatfire 3.5
    Defense Wall 2.3

Any good?

Al

2. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I would say it's a very good setup.

Consider some backup app, in case something goes wrong.

3. IceCube1010

Yep. I have Acronis true Image and I run CCleaner at startup.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I'd go easy on the cleaner. I know CCleaner is widely considered safe but still.

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

IceCube,

Three tips:

I hope you are using Vista's Limited User Account (try TweakUAC using the 'quiet' mode, meaning all programs will run in LUA, you will still have Registry and file virtualisation and IE running in protected mode).

You can skip Avira with TF now also offering AV check. With DefenseWall on, all files/mails/etc downloaded and all internet facing aps will run as untrusted. This effectively limits any malware from doing real harm. On top of that you will have Vista's LUA and TreatFire gaurding all operations.

Have you looked at VistaFireWall control, a nifty utility making outbound rules easy using Vista's FireWall?

6. IceCube1010

I made a slight change to the security config.

Vista FW
    AntiVir Personal 8.0
    Threatfire 3.5
    Geswall 2.7.1 Pro?

I still have not decided on the pro version. It has some nice features in that one. I tried vistafirewall control but don't really feel its neccessary at the moment. I think if something is calling out that shouldn't be, threatfire would flag it. Inbound is protected by the hardware router and vista FW. I could probably get rid of antivir but feel its takes very little resources 12meg on my pc and very little cpu, plus its free!;) If I had TF pro maybe I would but I believe TF 3.5 free only has the Anti-virus on scanning. Whats nice about the above config works great on XP as well. I know its not the end all for security setups but its a good start.

Well thats my 2cents.
    Al

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.