how is kerio

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by sandra, Feb 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandra

sandra Registered Member

anyone here has tried kerio firewall free version is it light on resouces and memory and is there is any option in kerio firewall free version to start it manually like in zone alarm

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Which version of Kerio are you asking about? There is the free v2.1.5, which is considered a very good and light firewall. There is also the limited free version of Kerio Personal Firewall 4. Since the products are very different, the opinions and recommendations will be very different depending upon which you are interested in.

Here's a thread on 2.1.5 (the subject in the thread says 2.1.3, but that was incorrect):

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=17432

3. Titanium

Titanium Registered Member

I've used both version 2.1.5 and version 4.0. I really liked the original version (2.1.5). It took a while to thorougly understand its capabilities, but once that was out of the way; it was great. I use the blocking list supplied by Sponge. There is a limitation to the number of entries allowed in the (allow/block application/IP address portion) original version, so I migrated to version 4.0. This firewall was a big resource hog!!! When I would try to go to the packed filter screen it would often freeze up. I have since then migrated to Look 'n' Stop. It seems to perform just as well and pass many of the "leak tests." The interface isn't very intuitive at all and you need to perform a lot of research on your own; but in the end it seems well worth it.

4. SteeLRasH

SteeLRasH Registered Member

version kerio 2.xx has a critical vulnerability that the exploit can bypass the firewall and scan all your ports stealthy without logging
    the vulnerability is fixed in older versions than 2.x.

however in my opinion 2.x was more useful than 4.x but both of them secure you very hard.

5. Sandcrab

Sandcrab Registered Member

G'day Sandra,

I used to use Kerio 2.1.5 eight months ago. It caused me no trouble at all & gave me 'completely stealthed' reports from GRC, Norton etc. When Kerio 4 came along I tried it out & was so unhappy with it ( the same 5 ports were open to intruders at every test I took)that I got rid of it & never tried another firewall until last week, when I downloaded the free ZoneAlarm. To a novice like me ZoneAlarm is just great. It is so easy to use & gets me perfect stealth reports time & time again from a number of different sites. I accessed the Kerio site last week & was told that Kerio version 2 is no more which is a shame as to me it was far more problem-free than Kerio 4. Cheers.

6. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Kerio v2.1.5 is still available via this direct download link:
    http://www.kerio.com/dwn/kpf2-en-win.exe

Regards,

CrazyM

7. Sandcrab

Sandcrab Registered Member

Gee Whiz, CrazyM,

What can I sayo_O
    When I accessed Kerio I was sure that I read that version 2xx was not available anymore. my apologies to Sandra & all others.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

8. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Sandcrab

Nothing to be embarrassed about, while still available for download from their site, it is not listed as such on their site.

Regards,

CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.