How important is email scanning if...

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by JVM, Oct 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JVM

JVM Registered Member

According to a Microsoft representative, email scanning is not needed if the email doesn't have an attachment. Is that true? You can't get infected by an email that doesn't have a link or attachment?

If it has a link, it is up to you to know what to do.

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

It's true That an infected attachment once opened by you infects you, but I was under the impression that if you open any infected e-mail it will infect you. True?:eek:

3. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

Does an HTML email count as an attachment or not?

If not, then yes you need email scanning.

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Email scanning is imporatant regardless of what someone from MS told you. I could well imagine who this was. Were you surfing the MS News server and found this statement there ?
    It's FUD leave you email scanning on.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  5. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

There was at least one exploit several years ago that meant malware in emails could execute without the user launching it. Leave it on, imho.

6. JVM

JVM Registered Member

Oh, I had no intention of turning it off, just wondering what others have to say on this issue. Yes, I remember something in the past about a worm or whatever that could infect by just downloading the email or clicking on it, forgot which.

Microsoft has officially launched MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) that is a free AV/anti malware software. Getting something free from Microsoft is kind of a surprise. :D

In all the years I've had NOD32 installed, never once have I been infected with anything.

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

A couple of off topic posts removed.

As far as scanning email goes, it may help prevent malware from being deposited on your computer which, as everyone knows, can be a bear to remove. The fact is, not everyone uses safe computer practices and email scanning can be a help to those people.

8. JVM

JVM Registered Member

My question was never whether or not to use email scanning, the question was stated in my first post above:

"According to a Microsoft representative, email scanning is not needed if the email doesn't have an attachment. Is that true? You can't get infected by an email that doesn't have a link or attachment?"

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Possibly. if your operating system is up to date including your browser.

At one point in the past, just viewing an HTML mail in the preview pane was enough to infect your system.

10. JVM

JVM Registered Member

OK, thanks!

11. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I guess it also depends on the browser or email program you are using. If you get email in Opera or TheBat, just receiving the email does not do anything.

12. JVM

JVM Registered Member

I intend to use Windows Live Mail and integrate the email from my ISP account. All mail received will be to my ISP account and viewed through Windows Live Mail.

I use Firefox as a browser but that wouldn't have any effect on WLM.

13. mkuntic

mkuntic Registered Member

For the most part, no. Most e-mail hosting companies and corporations do server-level e-mail scanning in any case.

14. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

I would say scanning email is more important than the de facto real-time file system scanning.

There is some options in advanced options which on my machine are turned off that specify whether or not plain text and rtf text content should be scanned, but with these off all my email still gets signed as scanned by nod32.

If you have html email formatted in your email client and especially if you expect attachments then defenitly keep it on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.