How good is this setup?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by avman1995, Aug 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

Hey guys,I am planning to go with something very non-traditional stuff here..

Planning to go with GesWall (I know this software is old but really tempted to try it) OR Sandboxie + WinPatrol free + Autorun disabled + Mbam Pro

How will this setup fair? is it good enough to prevent almost anything I throw at it? :cool:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  2. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

The most important part of any Security Setup is to keep an 'up-to-date' and 'Malware Free' Image of your OS Partition or entire hard drive stored in a Safe Location.

3. avman1995

Well guess I do have enough backups in hand :)

I wanted to know what should be my choice GesWall or Sandboxie?? anyone has used geswall on win7 lately?

4. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

I would definitely chose SBIE.

5. guest

guest Guest

I will choose Sandboxie over GesWall since the former is under an active development, or DefenseWall if you want a similar software and if you're on 32-bit. Also, I will replace WinPatrol to a full-blown classical HIPS or a behavioral blocker if you want popups to critical system changes. And listen to TheKid7's suggestion there, we all need backups. :thumb:

EDIT: Speaking of behavior blocker, I know there's no standalone BB that is still alive today. Best bet would be disabling EAM's scanner and just use the Mamutu part. Unless you want to use the ol' ThreatFire (no longer supported AFAIK).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2013
  6. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Sandboxie 'Paid'. :thumb: :thumb:

7. avman1995

Anyone else know;s of something like classical HIPS like geswall?? :)

8. guest

guest Guest

No, GesWall isn't a classical HIPS. It's more into a policy-based sandbox-HIPS hybrid. If you want to use a classical HIPS then there are Comodo D+, Online Armor, Privatefirewall, etc. If you want a similar software like GesWall, the only one that I know is DefenseWall (no 64-bit support yet). Then there's AppGuard which also works as policy-based, though focuses mainly on execution blocking.

9. Yes, install with UAC disabled, setup your policies through geswall monitor, next enable UAC, add geswall monitor console link with elevated rights (this bypasses GeSwall being unsigned, since you open windows management console which is signed by windows).

When you need to run something as trusted, just copy it from one partition to another and you can install it without problems (geswall uses windows internals, this is same reset as ACE's with copy through NTFS).

10. avman1995

Thanks! will it do if I just label apps as trusted with geswall rather than copying from 1 parition to other. :)

If I install geswall with UAC will it cause any major issue or something apart from the adding programs/files to untrusted file list issue which is just a matter of clicks?

I am assuming when I install geswall everything that is on my pc is labeled as trusted isnt it?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  11. avman1995

BUMP anyone to reply to my queries please :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.