How good is *NEW* Kaspersky Heuristics ??

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by cupez80, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

i have trialed KIS 7 beta but i dont see its *NEW* heuristic on action yet. So is it good enough ?

2. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

It is good.
    Just try it.
    It is not really heuristics nore like and emulator to freeze in depth malware. Take a look at the Kaspersky forum. There are several threads on this one

3. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

you can see a few false positives, and a few detections (hard to spot since kav updates the definitions every 2 hours). about how detectino compares with other products, we'll have to wait for IBK to test it. :)

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Eventually it will be on par with the likes of BitDefender. Right now, I don't *think* its quite there yet because KAV 7 is still beta.

5. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

I've been trying to find the files KAV misses on Jotti, but the only ones can I find (by searching the filename... not very successful method I can tell you, only able to find 1% of them) are junk files and false positives. o_O

6. Firecat

I have seen "legit" malware (heh, thats an oxymoron :D) not detected by KAV....I don't know how KAV's heuristic will do against such files, but Kaspersky usually adds them very quickly.

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

not too sure about how kaspersky will tackle their heuristics,

but do they really need to spend time and resources on them, as kaspersky is and for a few years will be no.1 for adding signatures, and at a super speed too.

i always look at kaspersky for its detection when comparing other products, its been like this for me in the past and will continue to be so for the near future.

8. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

This is where I'm having trouble accepting the introduction of the new heuristics within KL products because of their very frequent updates. Admittedly, their emulator/heuristic analyzer may pick up on something between updates, but within an hour or so a signature is more than likely available to detect that malware. I did wonder if KL were going to reduce their hourly updates, which would make heuristic detection more worthwhile, but judging by comments made by Eugene elsewhere, it looks as if there's not going to be any change to the 20 or so hourly updates per day.

9. Firecat

The answer is simple: Why settle for 1-hour protection when you can have protection instantly via heuristics? :)

10. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

That's why I wondered if they were going to reduce the amount of signature updates.

11. Firecat

No, heuristic detection works for finding the threat; the signature update 1 hour later cleans up the traces. :)

12. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

so what kind of threats this NEW emulator would handle ? any of you have screenshot of KIS 7 NEW heuristic on action ? :D

13. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I'm testing v7, and no, I haven't seen anything picked up by the emulator yet, but then neither has the signatures. :D

14. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

+1, well said, many users probably still wont see heuristic detections in v7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.