How do you kill off Frontpage

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by djg05, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I used to have Frontpage 2003 and its derivatives installed but uninstalled FP as I no longer do any web stuff. Now I am getting bugged by 2k wanting to install it when I start certain programs or use the Search function in 2k.

I have uninstalled FP but there is still a listing in Add/Remove which it says it cannot remove. I have instead removed all physical FP remants and gone through the registry and removed more the 340 references but still I am getting bugged by it.

Can someone help please.

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Reinstall and then try to remove again. Even better, install Total Uninstall, then install FrontPage and then remove it using Total ...

http://www.martau.com/

Mrk

3. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks

Thought about that but I think it goes back into earlier versions.

Been looking at what happens and it is OSE.exe (Office Source Engine) that starts up and looks for FrontPage. Not sure how to stop it. Renaming just produces an error so is not a solution.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

5. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks Ron

Worth a try but it did not even list it.

Mrk

Tried Total in/uninstall with FP - it did uninstall it but did not remove OSE. I have been reading up a bit about it and it seems it is installed with Office 2003 of which FP is a part. I have never had anything later than Office 97 apart from FP 2003 which was a separate program, ie. not part of the Office install disk.

Anyone else got any ideas of killing off OSE? I did, by the way, disable it as a service but that has had no effect.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

7. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks Ron

Could not find anything there. It seems that MS do not acknowledge their installer has a fault. However changing my search pattern brought this up, the second option in my case. I still get the box flashing on screen but it is immediately disabled.

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Looks like you did good David.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  9. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks Ron

Had a look through there but could not find anything relevant. Most of the searches end up with thinking you want to keep FP - I do not.

The fix I found works well enough - certainly less annoying, but it is a sticky plaster solution. In going through my machine I see that there is a lot of clutter left around from old installs. I think when I have a rainy day I will dig out an old image that predates all this. Certainly I can now see the sense in using something like FD-ISR that Peter advocates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.