how do you fix a slow running computer?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i generally keep well away from my friends computers, but a friend called me and said his computer is running really slow. i asked him if he's got xp or vista and he said it's a dell looool :D

what stuff would you do to fix it? i haven't used windows for a few years now, i'd run superantispyware and something else then check the running processes.

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Aside malware, perhaps:
    Autoruns - look for things that don't need to start with Windows.
    Check Windows settings, RAM, PC specs?
    Google Desktop is installed ? ...

3. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

Well, if it is a dell computer and that computer has not been reformatted than use dell system restore. This will restore the computer to the state when it was shipped. Make sure all the data is backed up because all the data created or stored will be erased. I think the key combination is ctrl+F11 while the bios is flashing.

4. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

FORMAT! (infallible).

Ok, that's not an option i guess.

1) Reduce drastically processes running at startup to the strictly necessary.
    2) Run Free malware scanners. Dr. Web Cure it is also handy tool.
    2) Use HijackThis for nasty/toolbars/autoruns verification.
    3) Defrag.
    4) Disable not needed Windows Services.
    http://www.blackviper.com/

5) Use Registry cleaner (be careful of what to delete) and then NTRegOpt/ Auslogics Registry Defrag.

6) Reduce Windows Visual effects. For XP, i use this, for a very responsive windows behaviour:
    http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9120/53461807nw2.png

7) Set a fixed size page file.
    :cool: Use alternative programs that eat less CPU Time, when possible.
    9) Reduce "quick start" items.
    10) Upgrade the RAM! If not possible and the RAM is low, use RAM optimizers (i don't think what's available today, something like MemMax, Ram booster, etc).
    11) Run PageDefrag.

5. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Before doing anything else, check to see if his hard drive is nearly full. I've had 2 friends complain that their system was running like a slug, only to find that their C-drive was nearly full. That will do it every time!

6. Sully

Sully Registered Member

First you need to define running slow.

Slow to boot to desktop? Could be harddrive is going south. Could be (likely) things starting up, including services. Could even be drivers or non-present devices, like printers/usb items. Could be a network resource it expects and waits x seconds to find it (this is very common in a home network).

Once to desktop, slow to start a program? As said, could be full harddrive, not enough room for swap file. Could be again, too many processes running. A certain process might be hogging the cpu. Hdd could be failing.

Slow to browse directories? Could be hdd failing. Could be clogged up registry. Could be certain process(s) using cpu.

Could just be virii/malware/etc too.

I always try to determine what is slow. On many computers that are say 5 years old, many times putting in a slave drive and then browsing directories on the slave drive can show that the primary hdd is not as it once was. Lot's of things to try, and can help narrow down what 'slow' is.

Sul.

7. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

I agree with Aaron. Probably to much space is used from the system restore points.

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks for the help everyone :cool: i've read through everything posted so far! i don't think i'm going to reformat, i just need some tips for getting rid of malware then making the computer run a little faster, plus stuff like Aaron said about checking how full the hdd is.

i'm sure i can get the computer running normally again, but i wanted to ask for help because of the amount of time it's been since i used windows - it must be before superantispyware was being mentioned on this forum because i've never installed and used it.

so far this is what i'm going to do

1) Reduce drastically processes running at startup to the strictly necessary.
    2) Run Free malware scanners.
    3) Defrag.
    4) check processes for malware
    5) maybe run something like Safe XP
    6) tell him to use fx because i have no clue about the new versions of ie.

i'm not going to go crazy fixing everything because i know he won't appreciate it if i do!

when he said it was slow it sounded like he was on facebook. /OT i've never been on facebook because they don't let you see the site unless you register. i don't like that so i won't join it lol. but, i know it has games and plugins so the slowdown could be anything!

i'm going to run superantispyware. what other scanner should i run? Dr. Web Cureit? will those two cover most things? do i need to run a rootkit scanner too? and should they be run in safe mode?

is there a free, fast standalone defragger? thanks :cool:

9. Sully

Sully Registered Member

JKDefrag. Use JKDefrag GUI with it (seperate program).

10. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Hi,

Yes, I delete manually the older Restore Points ( blue RP ) two times a week. Whenever some today 6: 294MB on C/System Volume Information/restore ...

I use also CCleaner, RegSeeker, PureRa, Disk Cleaner and Smart Defrag from Advanced SystemCare PRO - defrag in Safe Mode only! because anti-virus runned in Normal Mode!

Yours PROROOTECT - in clean mode.

11. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

If it just doesn't have enough RAM, then Step 4 - Tweaks may help a little.
    http://home.comcast.net/~SupportCD/OptimizeXP.html

Run ccleaner before doing anything. I would also check to see how much dust build-up has accumulated around the hardware. Sometimes a can of compressed air will work miracles. Brace the fans from spinning with something like a coffee stirrer to prevent damage if you blast them with air.

Oh, and suggest that they pick up more RAM if they can find anything compatible. Prices are very reasonable right now.

Good luck!

12. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Among the other suggestions, apologies if it has been mentioned and I overlooked it. Disable indexing.

13. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I agree with Innerpeace's suggestions. RAM and CCleaner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.