How do you choose passwords?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Pollmaster, Nov 13, 2004.

?

How do you choose passwords?

1. I use the same password all the time/most of the time

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. I use the same password except for certain important sites

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. I have a few passwords which I rotate around and reuse

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. I use a program to completely randomise my passwords

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  5. I use a system much like this [url]http://www.onepassword.com/1p/default.aspx[/url]

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  6. I'm not going to tell

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  7. Some other policy.

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

A question on password management. Poll follows.

Due to the somewhat senstive nature of this poll, public voting is off, so no-one knows what you voted for.

2. dog

dog Guest

I'm not telling ... ~Top Secret~

But as a rule Passwords for sensitive info, internal PC stuff ... the passwords are farily Long, using Upper & Lower case, Numerials, and Symbols, & are completely random ... I store one backup CDRW of them which is encrypted and stored in my safe. LOL ... is that safe er' what. ;)

Web passwords, for forums and such, are a little more basic, usually a letter sequence from a praise, using a pattern to select which letters from which words, with another pattern determining Upper & Lower cases ... and I've got to throw in at least one symbol. I also store these on the CDRW mention above.

I now I've said to much! :blink: ... Who knows maybe my nose was growing as I type this :doubt: :blink: ~Top Secret~ :blink: :ninja: *puppy* :ninja:

3. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

Too late!

Apparantly I'm some kind of hacker who is well versed in the art of social engineering. Though i know enough about the security software you use (culled from the posts you have made in Wilders), I was still lacking in data about your typical behaviour. The information you have provided here was the last piece of the puzzle that will allow me to own your computer.

PS For the literal minded, this is a joke. I have problems hacking through a paper bag, much less the well defended systems of most members here.

4. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I suggest you watch what you tell this character, I know I wouldnt trust anyone who uses the terminology of a black hat hacker.

Jimbob

5. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

I have reported your post to the moderators. I find such an accusation against me to be totally unfounded and baseless. Anyone who is not a newbie would realise that the "terminology" I use is nothing that can't be picked up by merely lurking in these or similar forums.

That hardly makes me a hacker.

PS Note to self: Hold off the polls on packet sniffers, that's another blackhat terminology

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Very true :ninja:

Let the Poll\discussion continue

7. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Some other policy - I'll tell - in general anyway.

I use words which mean something to me - the meanings of which I have never shared with anyone else - words that popped into my head in some memorable event etc, and add rather random strings of numbers and/or symbols either before, after, in the middle of the word/s (may be a combo), or any combination of the above. So far I've managed to keep the important ones well memorized. Admittedly I probably don't change them as often as I should.

8. dog

dog Guest

Need my IP ? LOL :D

:ninja: *puppy* :ninja:

9. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

I was thinking of making a jest in return, but I don't want any newbies to think I'm a superhacker again, so I won't take the bait.

10. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

Actually that's a different poll. I was trying to ascertain really how often the same passwords are used, but apparantly everyone is using a unique password for everything. Pretty good, since in the other poll on password managers, many people say they are purely using their memory to remember passwords

Maybe I'll start another poll on the ways you come up with passwords . Though it sounds very dangerous.

11. Galcoolest

Galcoolest Registered Member

I recently read a security analyst's directives for effective password creation.

He said the best thing you can do is to use a phrase that you can easily remember, a sentence as opposed to a crazy, nonsense word. Windows can apparently handle over a hundred characters in password length (!), but the minimum number of slots, including spaces between words, should be 14.

This is because apparently all passcracking software now really usable can't swing through much more than ten digits- and at most 14- mainly because it would take too bloody long for the software to test all the possibilities.

The guy was saying, in effect, that a password reading " I am going to the store again, tomorrow" is far safer than $%^7Yhni*9! simply because of its length and the spaces in it screw up dictionary scans of words, even though it is full of well known words...

Now, it is obviously even better to have capitals, numerals and odd punctuation characters thrown into your phrase , too, for added good measure.

I thought this was interesting - the advice he was giving. Sorry the link is off on some CD right now....

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

13. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Passwords. They are secret and are many. The more important question when we get old how will we remember them all. LOL :D

14. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

TOP SECRET!

15. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Get your DoS and Smurf attacks ready.... Mine is 127.0.0.1, and I'm about to switch firewalls... tuesday 5AM GMT.... :p

Anyways... I use a simple method... either absolute nonsense random passwords, or lengthy song titles (even from alternate languages - I'm bilingual) upto 8 words even!!! over 32 characters (if allowed)... brute force THAT!
    I'm about to switch to a saner system soon... I'm writing a small mathematical formula for 21 digit passwords all derived from a master password... its in c++ and I hope it will work...

16. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

I use my dog's name, "barney" and his birthday on june 10th for everything. *puppy*

17. ritalaxman

ritalaxman Registered Member

Well, superhacker or not the safest bet is to use a 14 or more character password.

[MOVE] :) [/MOVE][MOVE] :rolleyes: [/MOVE]

18. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

good idea--but I'd never remember that long of a one :D

19. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

article on passwords by experts

Creating Strong Passwords
    Lindsay Mullen from the TechTarget site SearchWindowsSecurity.com asked me to contribute to a piece she did called Expert How-To's: Creating Strong Passwords. Here is an excerpt from my contribution: "If you eliminate your name, your kids' names, your pets' names, your birth date, social security number and every word in the dictionary, you aren't left with many options. So, what should a user do to create a password that fits all of these guidelines?" To read my contribution and the contributions of other experts to help you create strong passwords visit this link: Expert How-To's: Creating Strong Passwords (you will need to complete the free registration process in order to access the articles at this site).

20. freeloadin

freeloadin Guest

how aabout that swamii guy? I use dogs too. In the morings ,me and baby sister let the hounds out and she pputs her passwords to which oone does whaat and whoo was firsst!t Pretty smart, huhj?

21. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

In a nut shell most of my important passwords are long > 16 characters with combination characters, each is different and I remember them using mnemonics. There are no discernable words in any of my passwords. I do make exceptions to this rule, for example in the forums I frequent all use the same password.

Oh did I mention I have them all written down on a yellow sticky attached to my monitor. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.