How do you backup your important personal files?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Cruise, May 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

never mind.

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

No imaging, I just keep an Ubuntu CD for installation. I have an external hard drive for data I wouldn't want to lose but I don't use it much as most of what I do gets stored online.

3. Baedric

Baedric Registered Member

I use Karen's Replicator for daily backups of document, pictures, etc... and Keriver Image to backup the drive weekly, all copied to an external drive. I do not encrypt my data but it may be something I should look into.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  4. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I rar them using Winrar with encryption, and store them on my 32GB USB key:)

By the way, I personally find Dropbox or any Cloud service too slow to use, takes ages to upload files for me, as my internet only allows 85KB/s max upload speeds.

5. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

But KP cannot encrypt the copied files, right?:cautious:

I wish a backup program existed which can copy multiple different folders and files, and encrypt it. Does anything such exist?

6. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Try spideroak.

7. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I cannot use online or cloud backup services because my upload speeds are restricted to only 80KB/s and is way to slow to upload data.

Does anyone know of a backup program where you can add folders and files to a list, and then just press a single button to backup all those folders and files and encrypting it as well, and then the program backs up the data to another hard drive or USB stick?

And please don't recommend Cobian Backup because it always gives me these errors:

ERR Error while creating the Volume Shadow Copy snapshot: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80042302
    ** Backup done for the task "Backup". Errors: 1. Processed files: 3883. Backed up files: 0. Total size: 0 bytes **

8. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Re: Backup personal data!

v11 has always given me errors, so I don't bother. And I don't even want to try v9.

9. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I have never had an error/errors, while using Cobian Backup v11

10. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

This is what I get with Cobian v11:

ERR Error while creating the Volume Shadow Copy snapshot: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80042302
    ** Backup done for the task "Backup". Errors: 1. Processed files: 3883. Backed up files: 0. Total size: 0 bytes **

And all I did was add one folder and one file, yet Cobian didn't seem to like something about that:p

11. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

What OS are you running?

What is Volume Shadow Copy set as? You can check under Windows services.

If you don't know, Services is located under Administrative Tools

12. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

W7.

Set as manual. I believe my Macrium Reflect uses Volume Shadow Copy, and I never have any problems with Macrium Reflect, so if VSC is not working correctly, then why does Macrium Reflect work OK?

What should Volume Shadow Copy be set as? Manual, or Automatic, or Automatic (Delayed Start)?

13. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Can anyone answer please?:blink:

What should Volume Shadow Copy be set as? Manual, or Automatic, or Automatic (Delayed Start)?

Macrium seems to work ok, even though VSC is set to MANUAL.

14. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

@ TheMozart, using here Macrium in Win 7 with:
    - VSS (Volume Shadow Copy)=Manual
    - ReflectService.exe (Macrium Reflect Image Mounting Service)=Automatic
    Without any issues.

15. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Yeah my VSC is also MANUAL

And my ReflectService.exe (Macrium Reflect Image Mounting Service) is AUTOMATIC.

16. claykin

claykin Registered Member

Check your Reflect logs. If I recall correctly when I last tested Reflect, it first tries VSS then falls back to its own locked file tool. make sure its sticking with MS VSS.

Has this system previously had other backup apps that use VSS? Acronis Trueimage is an example of one that can leave remnants that break VSS for other backup apps.

I have used and deployed Cobian on many systems and pretty much the only time I run into VSS issues is if the client currently or previously had Trueimage or Carbonite. Also check Windows Event Viewer and report back VSS errors.

This may also help from your friends @ Macrium. http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50010.aspx?Keywords=vss

17. claykin

claykin Registered Member

BTW, my favorites are:

1) Syncback SE/Pro
    2) KLS Backup Pro
    3) For cloud and sync I use Jungledisk. Spideroak is also good and secure but no open/locked file copy.
    4) For imaging I prefer Symantec BESR (now called SSR) or Shadowprotect. Macrium Reflect would be my next choice.

18. Noob

Noob Registered Member

The plain n old copy/paste is more than enough for me. :D
    No need for images or anything else. :rolleyes:

19. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

So what happens if you want to revert Windows to another past date?

20. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I checked my windows logs and it says:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on a Shadow Copy Provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}. Routine details IVssSnapshotProvider::IsVolumeSupported() failed with 0x8000ffff [hr = 0x8000ffff, Catastrophic failure.....

So my question is:..How come Macrium still succeeds to make backup images seeing Volume Shadow Copy Service seems to be broken?

By the way I changed Volume Shadow Copy Service from MANUAL to AUTOMATIC, and then ran Macrium reflect and now Windows Logs don't report any Volume Shadow Copy Service error.

However, Cobian Backup still complains about an Volume Shadow Copy Service error.

Anyone shed some light on that?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  21. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Well i never really revert Windows to an older state, it's format or continue using it. :D :D

22. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

According to my Windows Logs, Volume Shadow Copy is working fine with Macrium and windows, but Cobian Backup Version 11 still says:

ERR 2012-06-02 12:33 Error while creating the Volume Shadow Copy snapshot: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80042302

HOWEVER, when I use Cobian Backup Version 9 Portable, I don't get any errors.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  23. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Ok, good luck with that :D

24. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I really hate VSS, out of all the times i've tried using it, it has only worked once, every other single time it has a problem so the first thing i do after i have a clean install is disable VSS. CRAP! :D

25. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Yeah ok, good luck with that :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.