How do I transfer my hard drive to a new hard drive?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by OM2, May 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OM2

OM2 Registered Member

Just installed Acronis.

I've made a full backup to an external hard drive.

But how do I transfer to another computer?

Bootup and then restore?

How do I create my backups on bootable media, so all I need is the discs to restore?

AND:

1. How does creating a clone differ from a full backup??

2. How can I backup my computer, but leave out specific folders?

3. Can I change the size of the images? At the moment it backs up to 2gb files - can I make these be 700MB say?

Thanks.

OM

Last edited: May 26, 2007
  2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

What version and build number of True Image? To Restore to another computer you have to use the Universal Restore add-on which is only for True Image 9.1 Workstation. A workaround that may or may not work for you is to change the display to a generic type before you make the backup image. This backup should let you restore it to another computer. Another way is to use Sysprep - search the forum for how to use this.
    The way Acronis uses Clone and Backup:
    Clone is a copy of the source. The cloned drive is immediately bootable just like the source.
    Backup is a compressed Image of the source. You have to carry out the Recovery process on the image to a drive before it will make that drive just like the source.
    The feature to make your backup on bootable media is available on Version 10 of True Image.

3. OM2

OM2 Registered Member

thanks for the reply.

not sure what build, but i have version 10.
    i got it in a retail pack on disc.

the whole reason why i bought the product was to be able to backup to bootable discs and restore from there!

i asked sales a few times before buying.

i'd be really dissapointed if this wasn't available to me - it's the only reason why i purchased the product. :(

i'll email support and ask them.

thanks.

om

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

OM2,
    Spend a little time with my Guides listed below. Many of your questions answered there.

Did you really mean a different hard drive; or to a computer with different hardware?

5. OM2

OM2 Registered Member

i just booted up from a bootup disc i made.
    i booted up 5 times - it wouldnt boot th full mode.
    6th time i tried: somehow if worked.

i got a new hard disc and tried to restore the backup i made.
    it's very unresponsive.
    each click takes ages for the system to respond.

anyways... i got to the restore stage.
    and it's saying that its going to take 17 hours to do the restore!
    it went down to 15 hours but then went up to 16 hours again.
    i left it for a good 30 minutes.
    no change: it was down to 15 hours when i stopped.

i must be doing something wrong??

(my backup was from a usb 2 external hard drive.)

any ideas?

6. OM2

OM2 Registered Member

ok... following your links now.
    yes... thats what i meant: a new hard drive.
    but not having much luck as i said in my last post. :(

7. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Have a look at BartPE Begginer's Guide to Creating a BartPE CD. The Linux based rescue cd is notorious for the poor performance of the drivers included. BartPE uses windows drivers which you can add or update easily.

8. OM2

OM2 Registered Member

i've heard lots of good things about bartspe.
    haven't had a chance to play around with it myself.
    will do so.
    but.. the problem is: i bought a product - i expect it to perform out of the box.
    i shouldnt have to research and read into how to use another product.

i've used ghost before.
    that restores in literally minutes.

i must be doing something wrong.
    the reason y i purchased acronis was because i'd heard so many good reviewes from other users.

:(

9. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Have you registered the software and downloaded the latest build 4942? There are lots of usb chip sets that are not well designed nor well supported by Linux. Have you raised an issue with support at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317?
    The rescue cd full version has never worked on my Gateway machine so I use BartPE. TI has a BartPE plugin included that is installed when you do Complete Install.

10. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

What kind of system are you backing up windows xp or vista? , if it's vista I'm not familiar with it, but if you got windows xp pro. do following. 1.) do an image backup of your old c: partition(not a clone or full disk backup).
    2.) install your new hard drive into your external enclosure (it's a big hassle but this way you don't have to worry about using your recovery cd (which in your case is giving you problems)
    3.) connect you external hard drive to the rear usb connector's (front usb port's are unshieded and unreliable for restoration work)
    4.)Partition your new hard drive that's on your external drive make sure you make the c: partition active primary. 5.)Now you can restore from windows , on true image choose recovery , locate your image partition you made in step 1 you want to recover, next choose the hard drive partition you want to restore (your new hard drive in the external drive) when it ask what drive letter you want to assign it just leave it blank. Depending on how large your image partition is will determine the time (it took me 8 minutes to recover a 20 gb partition 6gb of actual data)
    6.)When the recovery is complete, unplug your external drive and shutdown windows. Remove old hard drive , install your new hard drive in the same location as your old drive with the pins in the back master or slave in correct locations.
    7.)restart computer, the computer should boot up normally. (if the computer boot's to the log-in screen than hangs there, it means that the drive letter's in the registry got changed during restoration, it only happened to me twice in about 4 restores but it does happen.)
    I've never had to use BartPE, the only other program I have use is paragon justboot corrector and I use that when I need to change drive letters to get my sytem to boot. The above steps will work on IDE or SATA drives, I've restored both types.

11. OM2

OM2 Registered Member

i've registered the product now.
    and have raised a support ticket off the acronis website.

bartpe??
    as i said in my previous email: sounds like a lot of hassle!
    (i'm sure the procedure is easy - but as i said... i should have to circumvent... and add solutioons that should be there already!)

12. OM2

OM2 Registered Member

yes that all sounds very good.
    but as i've said in my previous posts: a lot of hassle.
    have you used ghost?
    i havent used the latest ghost... but i'm sure their procedure are much more easy.
    i've used the older dos based ghost: brilliant.
    relatively quick backup.
    restoring: blink and you might miss it... it's really fast.

wondering if i have made the right choice going with acronis. :(

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello OM2,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.
    Please notice that Acronis True Image can add boot components when backing up directly to removable media. Please see chapter 5.3.8 "Media components" of the respective User's Guide for detailed instructions.
    Clone Disk - migrates/copies the entire contents of one disk drive to another;

Backup - creates a special archive file for backup and disaster recovery purposes;

Please take a look at this FAQ article explaining the difference between Clone Disk and Backup approaches in more detail.

Actually, Clone Disk approach is usually used to upgrade the hard drive (e.g. install a larger disk), while Backup approach is basically dedicated for the complete data backup and disaster recovery purposes.
    Please notice that when creating a drive/partition image Acronis True Image always saves the entire content of the drive/partition. Files can be excluded only during a file/folder backup.
    Please notice that you can split archive files to fit your needs. Please see chapter 5.3.6 "Archive splitting" of the respective User's Guide.
    Please make sure you use the latest build (4942) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home, as thomasjk suggested. You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

Please also try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please collect some information that will help to solve it:

Please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please keep the drives in question connected and powered on during the creation process.

Then send it with a reply to the autoreply with Acronis case number which was sent to you when you submitted a support request.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

14. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Computers are so complicated these days, it seems that no one fully understands them or the software that's meant to run on them. But generally it helps to read the manual. I don't mean that as a slight. It's just good advice for all of us to follow.

Sometimes the manual isn't enough -- not enough specificf data or doesn't address a particular problem you have or isn't clear about something. At that point, a post thos these forums will often bring a swift solution, often nothing more is required than a commmand line parameter oir unplugging some USB device.

good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.