How do I remove the Hidden OS of Truecrypt?

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by DesuMaiden, Jul 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

I need to remove it, because I don't have any use for it. I'm not a very tech savvy person so could somebody use the most layman (non-technie or jargon) instructions for instructing me on how I can get rid of the Hidden OS of truecrypt? Getting rid of the decoy OS is easy, but not the

I don't want to use the hidden OS anymore mainly because I have no need for it and I want to just have one system partition that uses up most of my HDD's space. Currently my system partition for the hidden OS is only around 300 gb and my laptop's HDD has a total of 700 GB of space. The Decoy OS uses the same amount of space as the Hidden OS (since it is a mirror of the Hidden OS). I want to get rid of the hidden OS so that I can use a partitioning software to expand my system partition to utilize as much of my HDD's space as possible--I say the system partition should ideally use around 600-650 gb of the 700 gb of HDD space.

That's because I consider HDD space precious. The more HDD space I can use the more I can make out of the money I spent on my laptop. I spent $500 on my laptop, so I want to make us of every byte of HDD space. I don't even use the Decoy OS of my computer (since I cannot connect to the internet with the Decoy OS's cracked version of Windows 7). So I just want to have only one system partition (rather than two) that uses as much of my laptop's 700 gb of HDD as possible.

Having 300 gb of unused HDD space (of the decoy OS) is just a shame, since I could use all of that HDD for storing video games, anime and other cool stuff. I also have an external 1TB HDD, but I need to utilize as much of my computer's internal HDD's space as much as possible.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  2. guest

guest Guest

Just format the entire drive and do a re-install

3. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

You can just delete the Hidden OS partition and re-format. If you have a stock hidden OS install, decrypt the decoy and remove pre-boot authentication. If you don't, and just wipe out the whole drive, the TC Boot Loader will survive, and you'll need to do a bootrec.exe /fixmbr command from a booted Windows Installer (Disk or USB) to get rid of it.

PD

4. DesuMaiden

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering. If I use partitioning software to increase the size of the hidden OS, would that be ok? I don't need to ever use the decoy OS. So I want the hidden OS (which is the only OS I am currently using right now) to take up as much of the 700 gb of my HDD's space as possible.

5. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

No, don't try that. Hidden OS is same size as decoy, plus 5% or so. There's no way to make a really small decoy, and a really big hidden.

PD

6. DesuMaiden

Thanks for the advice.

So what I'm getting is that I should take all of the stuff in my hidden OS, back it up and then wipe out the hidden OS (reformat it). And then copy and paste the hidden OS's content onto the other volume. Is there a way to back up the entire content of the hidden OS (including the entire OS itself and not just the files on the OS)? I would like take ALL of the hidden OS (OS included), put it on a external HDD and then put it on the decoy OS. And then expand the partition of the decoy OS.

7. DesuMaiden

How do I do that. I'm not the most techie person so I need step by step instructions. Or maybe I could get somebody else to do it for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.