How do I get rid of Yahoo...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by springer, Jan 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. springer

springer Registered Member

Stuff on my computer?

The uninstall command isn't working for Yahoo Mail.

Did for Yahoo Messanger, but left lots of stuff behind. Once upon a time I had the entire Yahoo package, and seems to be lots of that stuff left behind, too...like, f'rinstance, Companion, autocomplete, and other files.

Thinking worthwhile to clean this set of program stuff out, as the only thing I use anymore is a Yahoo mail accnt...which I can't see that I need Yahoo Mail to support. Or do I?

o_O

2. ~*Nat*~

~*Nat*~ Registered Member

Hi springer,

In my ADD/REMOVE I have Yahoo Adress Auto Complete,
    Yahoo! extras,
    Yahoo Internet Mail,
    Messenger Explorer Bar
    and, Yahoo! Messenger.

Everything got installed by "default" if I remember right.

But......if you uninstalled from ADD/Remove in your Control Panel,
    and there are still leftovers, then I don't know.

Otherwise, simply uninstalling what you don't want should(!) get rid of all.

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Yahoo Mail shouldn't leave anything on your computer (except maybe some cookies) -- it's webmail, not local-server mail.

One other Yahoo "feature" you can remove is Yahoo Chat -- most easily done via the Downloaded Program Files. Right-click on that and confirm you want to remove it permanently.

4. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

U can also try doing a search for all Yahoo files & folders and delete from there. Question? In Start/All Programs/Yahoo - is there an uninstal option?

5. ~*Nat*~

Good question Peaches :D

Nope, is my answer.

But in control panel - ADD/Remove.

6. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Then I would do a manual search of files & folders for Yahoo to bring up anything there is pertaining to Yahoo and simply delete the files/folders I do not want. yes/no o_O

7. ~*Nat*~

Well..to be honest..I've had Yahoo! on my puter for a few years now and never
    uninstalled on purpose.
    So, all I know is you'd delete ALL of it in the ADD/REMOVE Folder.
    If there's still something left, I think it would be safe to just delete the other folders, yes.

8. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

U might want to use a reg cleaner when you're done uninstalling. I found 15 or 20 entries left over after i got rid of Yahoo. Lots of junk left over....

snowbound

9. ~*Nat*~

Oops....thank's snowbound for jumping in. I knew there was something else I wanted to add. I "was" going to mention to use some kind of cleaner also....
    Oh well. Forgetfulness has become a major crime in my life, hahah.

A "hero" has spoken. :) ;)

10. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Yes, after you uninstall the program successfully, there're sure to be some registry entries left behind, and they can cause registry errors.
    Use a registry cleaner like snowbound said, it should clear up the leftover registry entries.
    If you want to see what's in the registry, go to start---->run----->regedit.exe
    Best not to play around with the registry.
    You can also google for registry cleaners, there might be a good one.

11. springer

Thanks guys.

Ultimately, I deleted folders manually...and carefully, running a few tests after each one.

Only one that wouldn't go peacefully into the night was "Common" in the "programs" section, which contained "ymmapi.dll" that was running for some reason. Maybe this one is connected to "shortcuts", not sure. Yahoo Mail shortcut on my desktop is still there and working...which is handy.

Then I ran Registry Mechanic 4.0...fairly useful program...and Reg. Cleaner.

Can still access my Yahoo mail acct, which I figured should be okay.

Always a tad nervous about self-cleaning program junk.

Appreciate help on this.

Going to check out reg tools suggested here, too.

Cheers! :)

Springer

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The common folder in program files is a windows shared folder.

13. ~*Nat*~

I use 'TweakNow - RegCleaner'.

But only got convinced on downloading it, 'cause it mentioned something like
    "easy" and for beginners....tech illiterate people like me! :D

It tells you what is "safe" to delete, etc, etc.

Still....I am a bit cautious though...........
    Not bad of a lil helper, considering...

14. ~*Nat*~

15. springer

What exactly is a "Shared folder"o_O

And, were I to reboot in "Safe" mode and delete it, lookin' for problems?

o_O

Can't Google up much of relevance on "dmmapi.dll".

16. ~*Nat*~

Not sure if it's of any help springer, but you may want to check out those 2 pages: That's all what came up on YAHOO!-search.

http://www.anti-spy.info/process/_y.html

http://developer.novell.com/support/sample/tids/dmmapi/dmmapi.htm

And I'm truly sorry for not being able to help you with the other problems.

Good Luck !!

17. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi Springer,

Boot into "Safe Mode" here (though you won't need to for this). Before deleting any dll files you do find,
    they should be "un-registered". The below commands assume " C " as the partition drive. If your's is otherwise,
    substitute the proper drive letter.

For Win 95/98/ME....enter this with "quotes" at a command prompt....

"%WinDir%\SYSTEM\regsvr32.exe" /u "C:\Program Files\The Programs Folder\The Programs dll File/s"

For Win NT/2000/XP....enter this with "quotes" (after regsvr32 /u) at a command prompt....

regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\The Programs Folder\The Programs dll File/s"

If there are many, take a look here. Simply right-click to unregister.
    Take care of this first, then reboot.......

GF

Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  18. springer

GF...

Tried that command, came back with an access denied "0x80070005" response.

o_O

I didn't try the software download. Best option left?

19. GlobalForce

Are you running as administrator? If you open taskmanager, can you locate the Yahoo executable that's running?
    Likewise, look in the "common" or "shared" folder. Could you please confirm you're operating system Springer?
    edit - "IF" the OS is xp, you can determine the file that has that dll loaded by typing - msinfo32 - into you're "run" box. Under "System Summary", expand the "Software Environment" key highlighting "Loaded Modules". Name will be the file....
    to the extreme right you'll see the loaded dll, under "Path". Take note of the Yahoo entries under "Manufacturer", though
    they may be listed as "Not Available".

GF

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2005
  20. springer

Yo, GF...

I'm using Win2K Pro.

My guess is that my computer is not recognizing me as the "Administrator".

How do I go about changing that...after having spent the last hour going through Help topics and gotten nowhere?

I don't use a password. Just turn it on and go.

Question, for the sake of illumination on my part, and if you have the time to indulge my ignorance:

What if I went into Safe mode and deleted the file that way? I did this a while back with some Symantec leftovers, seemed no problems created...?

Why, short answer, is unregistering the file/folder important?

Trying to expand my knowledge a tad here. I also had Photoshop, of which uninstall left lots of junk, particularly in the registry. And I have Quick Time which I never use, but when I uninstall I get warnings about deleting some files that could screw things up...which really pisses me off that you download this stuff, and it becomes permenant flotsam regardless of uninstall features. I'm learning to be much more circumspect about "free" stuff, eh?

21. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

well if all you want is for it to stop loading, why not just download DiamondCS's autostart viewer, and then run it and put a check next to anything that says yahoo.

If it don't load automatically, and if you don't load it, it will not load...(i think)

the program is actually called asviewer.exe is extremely small (78 kb) and it is FREE! and will tell you alot about what is running. Good program! You might want to try this before doing any major registry remodeling.

-HandsOff

22. GlobalForce

Hi Springer,

Having no experience with Win2k, did you happen to try the "run as" feature before accessing the command prompt?

I checked and it looks like Win2k has a "Help and Support" section....goto ---> Tools, open "Advanced System Information"
    or provoke from the command line....this is where you can locate those loaded modules as explained in my previous post.

Safe mode is well, safe (less system calls going on). Yes, you could feasibly boot there but you'd first want to address Yahoo's executable if running in Taskmanager....and end that process. I say this because some of these items can be quite stubborn, hence still remaining after deletion. Then navigate using Windows Explorer and "Ice" that file, reboot. You should have no problems this way....I never have, though there are specialized tools. ;)

The warning's you get are due to the fact many Dynamic Link Libraries are shared and "called" by other applications to carry out specific system functions (ie : in use). With so much going on, it's alway's wise to locate all the info possible surrounding you're particular concerns....ie, "Google to the Max!"

Here's a good page covering some excellent diagnostic practices and tools from the MSDN Library. Make sure you get over to SysInternals....some outstanding utilities, command line and GUI. Safe bet almost everybody has one of their offering's.

Just to keep you busy (this is after all "your" interest :D ), you may find this article enlightening (old but relevant)....
    written by one of the SysInternals authors Mark Russinovich. He offers free tools for all Window platforms.

Final note, should you decide on RegSeeker (which BTW is very popular here), let it clean the registry incrementally....
    meaning don't clean the whole registry in one fell swoop, clean in "sections" (see attachment). Be sure to tick
    "backup before deletion" at the lower left on the main screen.

Best,
    GF

Attached Files:

23. springer

Hi again...

Using Msinfo32.exe I scanned "Loaded Modules" list, and found that "ymmapi.dll" didn't show up on the list, and it wasn't on the start up list.

So I went into Safe and "iced" it. Then ran RegCleaner and Reg Mechanic. Everything seems to work fine...so far.

Checked thru "regedit" and found all reg entries for Yahoo were gone, except under Hkey_Classes_Root, where a number still exist, including for "ymmapi"...??

Reading through links you provided basically scared the hell outta me. :oops: Way over my head on much of that stuff.

Anyway, been very informative. Sure appreciate everyone's indulligence.

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.