How do I download this video?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by GUI_Tex, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GUI_Tex

GUI_Tex Registered Member

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

3. GUI_Tex

GUI_Tex Registered Member

It doesn't work.. it downloads the popup.swf, which is nothing but a container for the movie. :'(

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  6. eyes-open

eyes-open Registered Member

Got yourself a learning curve going on there GUI_Tex heh ?

Okay - first a word to the wise. Unless you're sure that material is not copyrighted be careful about how you phrase your questions.

Many sites are understandably very sensitive about Intellectual Property & Copyright protection issues. You may get some flexibility if it's clear you just want something for personal use.

When you state that you want it to give to a friend - you've moved into distribution. As a result you may get flamed, unintentionally make it more difficult for people to answer or force admins to remove the post.

That said on a general basis if I were wanting something for personal use I would first try & find a usable URL.

So were you interested in the Mad Villain stuff that was in the flash video then below is the link for the video that will open up in your default media player.

This link can easily be sent to your friend.

http://video.download.com/3826-1_53-2-3.asx?id=1136

If you let this run you will see that it does state it is copyrighted. Had it been copyright free you would then have 2 basic possibilities.

If it is something that will cache and is retrievable from your temporary files - then it's no big thing to save it before you flush your cache.

Alternatively it may be streaming video. In this case you will only cache the link. In order to be able to save streaming video you are going to need dedicated software.

In the spirit of keeping good folks who are experimenting safe away from dodgy rubbish - were I to recommend software for the purpose of collecting copyright free streaming video - I would be looking at a program called Net Transport. This used to be available free. Now there is a fairly small cost for the latest versions (This is a top bit of kit). I have seen references to earlier versions that are still available freely - obviously you will have to judge the safety factors involved in downloading from any of these sources.

Edit: Came back to this as yet again it's been awhile since I've really looked at this stuff. Found this site that I came across a few years back. Has recommendations for a few alternatives depending on your system/needs. It has quite a good rep.

all streaming media

Hope it helps make sense of some stuff including why you couldn't capture it with the scrapbook extension - it wasn't cached for scrapbook to copy.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.