how do I delete a 40 GB .tib backup? (last post)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ric0h, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ric0h

ric0h Registered Member

ok so am trying to delete this exact file its under secure zone
    the place where it is located its

C:\Documents and Settings\(my name)\Desktop\MyBackup.tib < FILE AM TRYING TO DELETE! its (40 GB)

this is what i did

manage acronis secure zone> next> click on Disk 1 and then next> check mark on NTFS (c: )> next> no password> activate F11 option> proceed.

Also tried this

Backup Archives> Delete backup Archive > next > and then i can't find the file there( therefore i can't click next)

is there another way to do it?( cause this is not working)

i can find the file, and i can right click it delete it, but since a 40 Gb backup i dont think that will work << that actually worked!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  2. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi ric0h,
    Yes,if you right click it and chose ''delete'',it should work.However, you'll be notified that the file is too big for the recycling bin.Click it OK too and it should be deleted.
    If it does'nt work, mount your Secure Zone as a virtual drive,if you are using ATI 10,chose it to be mounted in read/write mode(this is my translation of my version) in order to subsequently delete it.

3. ric0h

ric0h Registered Member

OMG AWESOME YOU ROCK!! lol never realized it would be this easy

but was it really delete in 5 secs? 40 GB deleted in 5 secs?

is there a way i can make sure there is no left over data? look like i got 40 GB back of hard disk, but i just cant believe it was deleted in like 5 secs when it took like 2 or 3 hours to be created.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  4. Pinchas

Pinchas Registered Member

jus go to disk management and see the size of your hard drives or right click on the partition in question -)

5. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

You have the new space for use. As with any Windows file deletion, only the file name has become non-visible. The remains of the file still exists until written over by a new file or by a scrubbing operation where disk or file is overwritten by zeros.

6. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi ri0ch,
    Just too bad I don't know what it means.
    Glad too see it worked great for you!

7. ric0h

ric0h Registered Member

lol it means your cool

where do i go to disk managment? more like, where do i find disk managment

8. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi ric0a,
    All right.Next time ,instead of saying ''You're cool'' I'll say ''OMG AWESOME YOU ROCK!! ''.Hope I'm going to get understood!!!

The disk management button is right on the opening interface of Acronis,left-hand column , at the bottom of the page..(Under TI 10)
    Please have a look here at mine.It's in French but I guess yours is located in the same area.

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/3130/acronisinterfacesz3.jpg

9. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

XP disk management located
    1. Right click on My computer and select Manage and the select Disk Management.
    or
    2. Create a desktop shortcut or use Run with the command
    %windir%\system32\diskmgmt.msc
    or
    3.Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management

10. ric0h

ric0h Registered Member

thanks looks like it worked, but by the way does anyone know where to check your installed programs and see how much memory each one is using?

11. jimmya

jimmya Registered Member

Go to "Control Panel" accessed from the "Start" button and double click "Add or Remove Programs". This will show the size of most installed Programs, however if you have a lot of Programs installed this may take several minutes.

12. ric0h

ric0h Registered Member

well yeah but that is only for software, i mean files and stuff.

i want to know exactly what is using my hard disk memory:p

13. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Just so that everyone is on the same page, you need to be clear on the following:
    The hard disk does not have memory - it is referred to as simply space i.e. how much hard drive space is used or free.
    Memory is the memory installed on the motherboard of the computer and is usually in increments of 256mb, 512mb, 1Gb, etc. and is a totally separate entity to the hard drive.

14. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

These two free programs might be helpful, they do basically the same thing, with different formats.

JDisk Report: http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/jdiskreport/

WinDIrStat: http://windirstat.info/

15. ric0h

ric0h Registered Member

thanks

16. shieber

shieber Registered Member

File deletion under NTFS and most other file systems does not wipe the data; it merely "unallocates" the space the that the file was using up and removes the entry for the file from the file table. This takes a few seconds at most, regardless of the file size.

There are utilities around to wipe files when you delete them (technically, they write "0"s or some other character to each byte in the file, then delete the file). Writing to every byte in a file would take about as long as writing the file inthe first place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.