How Can We Know?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

In my opinion, it is not necessary for a product to top any test, but it should be able to pass/get certified.

While I agree that some products may have some advanced detection paradigm; it's like saying that you have a strong man with some chronic illness - he can probably do a lot of work really well; but there's still the risk of everything going downhill really fast. A similar analogy would be the defense of a country - it doesn't work if you focus on developing just your army or navy; everything has to be in place for a defense system to work.

I personally feel a product is good enough if it passes (reaches a minimum baseline) in commonly accepted tests such as AV-comparatives. When it goes below that (either due to FPs or due to lower detection rate), there is cause for concern.

2. guest

guest Guest

i know some forums that shares very fresh samples of malwares, in a daily basis, in a week you can get hundreds of them; maybe labs got more than me, but i just need some for my personal usage, (since i dont need to proove anything)

of course, it is understandable, every people have a "feeling" about AVs.

for example, i am the paranoid-kind of user with sometimes risky habits, i like going to the darkside; but for that, i used to cover all possible layers with different products and i never been infected since 15 years.

i know some forum co-members that gains the same result without any AV or with just Sandboxie , they rely on their knowledge and safe habits.

i would like to know what is your 3 favorites products? (just by curiosity)

i like those on my signature and Emsisoft IS. that i used to use on my machine, i am actually testing WSA as main AV instead of companion AV (as before).

Thanks ;)

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi guest,

[i would like to know what is your 3 favorites products?]

If you mean AVs my three favorites are KIS, Avast, and F-Secure. However, I would not be without MBAM Pro running in real time. Avira has been a good one for me, and so has Norton, but I ditched Norton due to lack of testing by AV-C.

Avast and F-Secure run best on my machines, but F-Secure seems not to be available at much of a discount. I buy essentially all my AVs on ebay and have not had problems with them. As long as I can buy Kaspersky on ebay for the prices there, and as long as it remains near the top and runs well on my machines I will stay with it. In the past it has been buggy at times.

Sometimes I find a great bargain from someone like Downloadcrew. I have not purchased one from the vendor site in many years.

I bought a couple of license for WSA from Downloadcrew, but have not installed it yet. At the price I could not lose much.

Regards,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.