How can I tell if the F-secure from my ISP is 2007 or 2008?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by guzman, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guzman

guzman Registered Member

I get a free version of F-Secure from my ISP (Shaw Cable in Canada) and they offer "Shaw Secure 2.0". It comes as just a firewall and antivirus/antispyware or you can also get a version that adds parental controls and spam filters. I was wondering how I could tell if it is based on F-Secure 2007 or 2008.

This is what is installed

F-Secure Anti-Virus 7.30 build 13161
    F-Secure Automatic Update Agent 8.23 build 2376
    F-Secure User Interface 6.80 build 2700
    F-Secure Management Agent 7.50 build 10035
    F-Secure Internet Shield 6.16 build 71
    F-Secure Email Scanner 6.00 build 378
    F-Secure System Control 2.02 build 119
    F-Secure Online Help 1.32 build 1020

Thanks for any help you can provide

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hello guzman....Welcome to Wilders,

According to this post it appears you have 2008.

Bubba

3. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Nevermind, Bubba is on the job :D

4. midway40

I was about to post this thread where a similar question was asked. Then I saw that Bubba answered so I quickly deleted it thinking that his post was the same as mine. Then I saw it was not the same thread I was referring to.

But looking at it now the 2007 shares a lot of the same component version numbers, even the antivirus version:

5. guzman

guzman Registered Member

Thanks guys. I do find it quite strange that the 2007 and 2008 versions are so similar considering that the 2008 promised "improved performance". If they are that similar, it would be foolish for someone to actually pay for the upgrade

6. midway40

Going by what was discussed in that thread I thought the 2008 version would have a 8.xx antivirus version (Iangh had 6.11='06, NAMOR 7.30='07). If this is true why is Chris's OEM showing as '08? Maybe that isn't the way FS distinguishes it's different versions. Just the same I like to see someone running '08 Retail to post their version numbers.

I got satellite broadband over a year ago and it came with "Wildblue Internet Security" which was just a rebranded FSAV '06. I didn't know FS offered an OEM AV/AS/FW combo as they do not offer it retail without the antispam and parental control. I would have preferred that instead.

Anyway welcome to the forum :) It is off to bed with me as 6am comes early in the morning, lol.

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

One way would be speed.:rolleyes:

8. guzman

guzman Registered Member

Well kinda hard for me to compare since it is from my ISP, and that is part of the reason I am asking. But I keep reading that 2008 is faster than 2007

9. guzman

guzman Registered Member

Well I got my answer....it is 2008. I installed a trial version of FSIS 2008 and all the parts were the same. What I still find strange is that the Anti-virus, System Control and other main parts are the same as those someone posted for FSIS 2007. I don't see how there can be this noticeable speed difference if so much of the product is the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.