How can i stop ZA to autoupdate?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Soul II Soul, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soul II Soul

Soul II Soul Registered Member

Hi & hello :)
    i have a question about the new Zonealarm 7.0.408.
    I use ZAAS (free offer for a few weeks) and it runs very good and i´m happy about it.
    The only thing that isn´t nice, that i dont know how to stop there automatic updating.
    No matter if i blocked ZA in their rules,settings (no auto updating) and so on.
    For a few years i read about a trick to kill the "phonehome",i wrote this into my host file:

# Block access to ZoneLabs Server
    127.0.0.1 zonelabs.com

Today this isnt work anymore, no Problems for ZA to update automatic.
    Anyone know what i have to write into my hostfile with their new Version? Or any other suggestions how to stop that ZA can connect to their server?
    I dont like that.

Sorry for my bad english, hope you understand what i want to say :-*

Greetings,
    Soul

2. fax

fax Registered Member

No need of blocking ZA via host.

1. Uncheck "check for updates" under preferences tab
    2. Uncheck automatic updates under the advance settings of the spyware tab (updates)
    3. Turn OFF spyware scanner
    4. ZA OS firewall also connect to check the white/black list of programs in the central database. So turn OFF Smartdefense advisor.
    5. Spysite block also should be turned OFF
    6. If ZAAS has a AV monitoring feature it should also be turned OFF also.

So, turn OFF everything and it will not connect.
    But, why using ZAAS if you need to turn off all its main features?:D

Better to use another security tool you could trust and benefit of ALL features instead of using a 'blocked' ZAAS with limited protection. Or better downgrade to ZAfree.

Cheers,
    Fax

3. Soul II Soul

Hi fax,
    thx for your quick answer.
    I think i wrote it wrong.
    I dont want that ZA connects to their server, the updates arent the problem.
    There are a lot of roumors that this software will phonehome,thats what i want to cancel with the modified host file.
    I disabled first after install your points 1-6 but i still think that ZA have no problems to make a connection if they want.When i only turn on the spywarescanner on and disable the whole rest and also block ZA in their firewall rules its no problem for ZA to make a connection that told me that my version 7.0.408 is up to date and i can update the spyware tools too.
    Thats what i dont like.

I dont have paranoia or something, but i want to decide by myself if i want connect to ZA.
    I took the ZAAS because its a special offer for free, but if i take ZA free, i think my "problem" is the same.

No way to make a hostfile, that there is 100% no phonehome?

Greetings :)

4. fax

fax Registered Member

Why do you think ZA still have no problems phone home?
    You should put a sniffer external to your PC to check that.

ZA 7.0.408.000 is not the latest version... I guess ZA is not able to check and gives you the OK all is updated, but we are at 7.0.462.000. :D :D

ZA does not phone home if you do not want to. This has been looked already (at wilders too) and no sign of phoning home has been found once the services that connects to zonelabs are turned OFF.

Amazing how rumors can be going still around after it has been said many time that ZA DOES NOT phone home. It actually did in one of the first ZA7 releases and it was a BUG.

Blocking ZA via HOST will cause problems to ZA.
    ZA is designed to block outside threads and not to deal with intentional blocks by the same user. It will malfunction, for example, reporting wrong information in the logs about connections.

Cheers,
    Fax

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  5. Soul II Soul

Oh sorry,i´m at work now and havent the actual numbers in my head.You´re truely right, mean the 7.0.462.000 too :oops:
    But ZA is able to check the Version, when i manually update (its possible also when i blocked all of ZA in their rules) and then redirected me to their site and then comes a message that i am up to date.
    Okay, thats an argument for me,i believe you and the wilders community.
    Thank you for your explaining,i´ve learned now that i should trust ZA and not to change my host file.I like the Software very much, runs smooth and soft.
    But the phonehome thing was always in my head, but now its history because of you.

Thank you very much fax! :)

Cheers,
    Soul

6. fax

fax Registered Member

No need to thank me or Wilders, you can check it yourself using a sniffer...
    The issue is that latest security tools make heavy use of remote information, white and black list, spysite, automatic configuration, updates... etc.. it is really difficult to use a software 'full power' without the need to connect to servers.

The fundamental questions is: do you trust your security software, your first line of defence?
    Yes? Great. Not? You should instantly look for another solution!

Cheers,
    Fax

7. Soul II Soul

Yes,it makes sense what you wrote about the latest security tools.
    I believe you that its the best when i trust my Software,but how can i do it?
    I dont know anybody personally from ZA,F-Secure Symantec etc :D
    But too much paranoia is also not probably good maybe ...

In Fact,i need only a good outbound protect,my first line of defense is my router,and i use ZA only for outgoing control.
    Like i said,only the phonehome roumor makes me doubtfully, but now i know that everything will be alright with it.
    I will try a sniffer,only because i am curious to see if somethings happen what i dont like.Thank you for the advice.

Thx again & Cheers,
    Soul :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.