How can I securely lock my Screen?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by TheMozart, Sep 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I have my entire hard drive encrypted with TrueCrypt.

I use my Notebook as a PVR which records TV shows and many times I leave it running to record and leave the house.

So here is my concern..if someone broke into my house as I was away, they would have full access to my system because Windows is running and recording TV shows while I am away.

So is there a FREEWARE screen locking program which will STOP someone gaining access to my Unencrypted TrueCrypt windows?

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Windows Key + L?

3. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Windows Key + L only places a window up that is easily bypassed by pressing enter. I do not have a Vista login password activated and have no desire to do so as it's tedious and annoying to enter a password everytime Vista loads. I am already entering a password at boot due to TrueCrypt.

Does anyone know of a program that can lock my screen securely?

4. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

That may well depend upon: What would you consider to be an UNannoying way of UNlocking the screen?

5. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

On the rare occasions I leave the house, I want to run a screen lock program so nobody can access my decrypted system while I am away.

Do you know of any FREEWARE that will do this?

6. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ TheMozart

Yes, PowerClick http://www.asmdev.net will do that & other things :) I've had it for some time & have been using it every day with NO problems. But you need a log @ boot PW in the 1st place, or just pressing ENTER will allow Anyone in, which is what you said you don't want :D

What i didn't know until today, Thanks to Hungry Man :thumb: was that using the Windows Key + L? achieves Exactly the same thing :D I expect PowerClick makes use of that command too ? It ONLY takes 1 second for me to do a Windows Key + L to lock, & 2 seconds to enter my PW + Enter on my return. So how much easier could it be ?

Whatever software you use to do what you want, will still require a PW to unlock your comp, otherwise it's useless. So why not PW protect you comp on boot = Seconds, and/or have a .SCR PW ?

Apart from any of the above, IMO what you're asking for doesn't exist !

7. malexous

malexous Registered Member

You could set up a password and Turn on automatic logon. You would then hope that the person does not restart your computer.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  8. Hungry Man

When I hit Win + L I need to enter a password to continue. I also have automatic logo turned off.

If you use truecrypt and need to logon with a password at boot using Win + L solves all of your issues.

9. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

My system is Truecrypted so nobody can get in! But they can access my information if Vista is running, so am looking for a third party password screen locking program.

Does anyone know of a good one that doesn't use the Windows login password seeing I don't have one and don't want one for reasons already explained.

10. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

That's the objective though...that they will be forced to reboot or turn off my Notebook, and then they are stuffed because I have encrypted my whole hard drive with Truecrypt.

Surely someone must know of a good screen locker password application? Anyone?

11. Hungry Man

Uh, why don't you want one?

Like we've already told you, you can bypass the logon password and have it just apply to when you sleep the computer.

If you use Windows lock + Truecrypt they'll be unable to get int when waking up and when they restart they'll be blocked by truecrypt

When you enter your truecrypt password on boot that's it, on Windows password necessasry.

12. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

There seems to be a BUG in Vista, where it's IMPOSSIBLE to have the password only apply for screensaver and not prompt you when loading Vista. I have never been able to get it to work that way.

Suffice to say, I found what I wanted, it's called Beast Lock.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  13. Hungry Man

I've read all of your posts. I don't see how it wouldn't satisfy what you're looking for.

But whatever works for you.

14. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Beast Lock is great. I just click an ICON and it locks my whole screen with a password.

Your method never worked for me. To get the screensaver password activated, it also then asks me to enter password everytime I login to Vista. I have never been able to get the password to just work for screensaver and not ask me to enter password when Vista logs in.

15. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

16. Hungry Man

I have it set up to do this right now. I also had it set up on Windows 7.

17. philby

philby Registered Member

Well, the publisher certainly has a whacky website...

18. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

Start > Run and type control userpasswords2. Highlight the account you want to autologon and uncheck required to enter a password. You then have to enter the password twice. Of course you'll have to create a password for the account first. After you do this the system will start and automatically logon with that account.

19. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Ok Let me try it again, but this time I will follow your instructions. Can you tell me the exact steps I need to do so Vista does NOT ask me to enter password when it loads, but a password is needed if the Screen is locked in Vista and when I press Windows Key + L?

Thanks.

20. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I don't get it, I don't understand. What are the steps exactly I need to do? Where do I uncheck required to enter a password? And where do I create a password for the account first?

21. Johnny123

First open the control panel and double click user accounts. Click on the account you are using and there is an option to create a password for the account.

Hit the Windows key +R and type in "control userpasswords2" without the quotes. You get an applet with a list of accounts. Highlight your account that you just password-protected. Then uncheck the box at the top "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" and then apply. You will then get another dialog box where you enter the user name and password. Here's screenshots of what it looks like. It's in German, but in English it has the same layout.

22. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

It doesn't work, when the screensaver is activated, it doesn't ask for a password.

23. Johnny123

If not, right click your desktop and select properties, or customize or whatever it says in Vista. Then select screensaver and next to minutes required before the screensaver starts there's a check box to require the password.

24. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Sorry Johnny, I misread your steps. I did it, and now it works perfect, so thank you. :thumb:

I remember trying this ages ago, but the screen saver always failed to prompt for a password seeing I told Vista to boot straight into Vista without a password. But obviously your method works :)

Next question...is anyone able to bypass or defeat this, if my screen saver locked my screen? Any bypassing possible?

25. Johnny123

Other than guessing your password I can't imagine any easy way to bypass it. If someone hits the reset button you have the TrueCrypt password to keep them out, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.