How can I delete old conversations?

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by jwcca, Apr 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

I can't and some are simply old and chatty and needn't take up space on the server...

J

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

While reading a conversation, there is a link at the upper right side called "Leave Conversation" which is basically the delete option.

leave-conversation.png

They don't call it "delete" because a conversation is thought of as a thread that is visible to only a small number of people. The other people might not delete their copy, so, in a sense, you are not deleting the conversation. It remains even after you disconnect from it. The actual deletion occurs when the last participant "leaves" it.

But, regardless of these distinctions, I checked the code when first looking into this a while back. It works exactly the same as vB PM. The delete simply removed your connection to a PM message. The message was deleted when the other recipients finally deleted their copy.

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Out of curiosity, since I've never had occasion to use the new conversation-format, if the conversation is still active (i.e., not yet fully terminated and deleted), can you re-join it after leaving?

4. LowWaterMark

You are given these options when leaving a conversation:

rejoin-conversation.png

5. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Worked like a charm, thanks.

I ticked most and selected "Leave..." in the pop up and then ticked "Accept..." just in case :)

Just semantics "Delete" vs "Leave"...

J

6. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

There seems to be no way to delete individual conversations . I wanted to delete my posted conversation because I accidently duplicated what I posted. I chose Accept future messages if I recall correctly and clicked on Leave Conversation.
    Now the entire conversation messages are gone. Can you make it so if you make a mistake you can delete individual messages
    that you create and post?

7. LowWaterMark

The "Leave" is like telling the forum to delete a thread. There is no individual "reply" deletion in Conversations, I'm afraid.

8. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

Thanks LowWaterMark:
    So if I understand checking Accept future messages will bring back the original poster who initually started the conversation to my
    inbox even after I deleted it (Leave Conversation) if they want to respond back to comments I've made to them?
    I'm unsure if they received the message before I deleted? (Leave Conversation)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  9. LowWaterMark

Yes, if you checked the "accept future messages", a reply to that conversation by the other member will restore it to you.

You could probably just start another conversation with the member and ask them to reply to the one you want back. That should restore it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.