How can I accomplish this?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ZrednaZ, Aug 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZrednaZ

ZrednaZ Registered Member

I've installed Acronis True Image Home on my laptop running Windows 2000. Its recovery cd has gone missing, so I basically need True Image to make a new one for me. Only this time it will be a recovery cd that already has all service packs etc. installed.

So basically I need True Image to make a series of CD images (I'll move these to my desktop with a cd burner) that will be able to restore the OS in its current state, and the first CD obviously needs to be bootable, just like the recovery cd that came with the computer.:D

2. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi ZrednaZ,

I'm not sure I fully understand your query, but if you mean the Windows Service Packs, they have no influence on the contents of the TI Rescue CD since the OS burnt to it is Linux, not Windows. To restore the HD on the laptop you need to have the Rescue CD to boot from. Then, to restore, TI will read the image off the CDs carrying the image, which do not need to be bootable.

By the proper selection in Options, you could indeed make the first CD of the image set bootable but I think it's safer to have the Rescue CD separate, especially if you consider that you have to create a new one for every new TI build you download.

Why will you move the image files to the desktop? To have an additional copy? You would be much better off if you purchased an external USB drive avoiding CDs (the image storing ones) altoghether. It would be more convenient, faster, safer and could serve for storing images from both computers (you will need a second TI license for that).

3. ZrednaZ

ZrednaZ Registered Member

Thanks for the reply and sorry if I didn't make myself clear...

What I meant is that the recovery disk I create will have all Windows Updates integrated as opposed to an original recovery disc.

OK, I'll create a seperate rescue disc. I'm not going to buy an external harddive though.

Because it has a CD burner and my laptop doesn't, so I'll have to burn the images using my desktop. :)

4. Clearline

Clearline Registered Member

Actually, it sounds as if you should get an external drive, or put another in your desktop. When you boot from CD or USB (full version), the network is available to, so you could store all of your backup files on the extra HD, and stream them to the LT over your network, once booted.

On all systems I work on, I always partition the main hardrive, and never leave C: larger the 8gbs. Then I move all the Docs, Temps, swaps, pagefiles, multimedia and archive bak files to another partition and/or disk.

Even though I run hundreds of programs from my drv C, being I only keep programs and the OS there, it usually only uses about 5-6 gbs. Most systems I work on use 3-4 gbs.

The reason I do this is that the system is faster and more efficient, and documents are protected, temp files (D:umpster) can live in their own fragmented heaven, and not be part of system or document backups.

TI Backups benefit, as my C: backup is usually about 2.5 gbs, with just normal compression, which I can easily drop on a DVD-RW, although I initially do the backups to a usb enclosure HD. My full C; backups take less then :10, while I am still using the sytem

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ZrednaZ,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that since you do not have a CD burner on the computer that you would like to back up we could recommend that you .do the following:

- Create Acronis True Image Bootable Media (please check Chapter 9. "Creating bootable media" in the Acronis True Image 9.0 Home User's Guide)

- Use Acronis True Image 9.0 Home to create the image archive of you system and set "Backup Options" to split the image archive into several files to fit the destination media (like CD or DVD discs). This can be done either via Tools -> Options -> Default Backup Options -> Archive splitting or during the image creation choose "Set the options manually", select "Fixed size" and enter the desired file size or select it from the drop-down list. (check Chapter 5.3.6 "Archive splitting").

Later you will be able to burn this files to the desired media. Please label the discs as during the restoration Acronis True Image will prompt you to insert them in the appropriate order.

Now you will be able to boot from the Acronis True Image Bootable Media and use these CD discs to restore your system to the moment of the image creation.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

It sounds like you want to slipstream the service packs (actually if you just do SP2, that will cover what's in SP1) and possibly later updates onto a windows instal disk. Google for "slipstreaming XP." YOu don't need ATI to do this, you need a set steps, which you can get via google, and isobuster, which you can get via the instructions.

good luck,
    sh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.