Hotspot Shield drops connection, then reconnects, despite fake DNS address

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by gumbyy, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gumbyy

gumbyy Registered Member

I tried to post this to the old thread about protecting your anonymity if the VPN connection drops, (http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=264849&page=4) but could not, because the thread is "too old to be replied to."

I've been successfully preventing any reconnection after a dropped VPN connection by using someone's suggestion to change the DNS server address AFTER I connect to the VPN. I enter 1.0.0.0 and 1.0.0.1 as the alternate in the TCP/IP properties and, if the VPN drops the connection, there's no connectivity. This works with most of the free VPNs I've been using.

However, I recently started using Hotspot Shield again, despite problems with it in the past, because it's much faster than the other free VPNs. I was very surprised the other day when Hotspot dropped the connection, and then a minute later it reconnected DESPITE the fact that I changed the DNS addresses to fake ones.

How did it do this? How can I prevent it? Is the problem that I have "obtain an IP address automatically" selected (Win XP)? I have a fake DNS address, do I also need a fake IP address? Is it easy, difficult or impossible to enter a fake IP address after you've connected to the VPN? Which fake IP should I use?

Or is the problem something else?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.