Hotspot Shield drops connection, then reconnects, despite fake DNS address

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by gumbyy, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gumbyy

gumbyy Registered Member

I tried to post this to the old thread about protecting your anonymity if the VPN connection drops, (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=264849&page=4) but could not, because the thread is "too old to be replied to."

I've been successfully preventing any reconnection after a dropped VPN connection by using someone's suggestion to change the DNS server address AFTER I connect to the VPN. I enter 1.0.0.0 and 1.0.0.1 as the alternate in the TCP/IP properties and, if the VPN drops the connection, there's no connectivity. This works with most of the free VPNs I've been using.

However, I recently started using Hotspot Shield again, despite problems with it in the past, because it's much faster than the other free VPNs. I was very surprised the other day when Hotspot dropped the connection, and then a minute later it reconnected DESPITE the fact that I changed the DNS addresses to fake ones.

How did it do this? How can I prevent it? Is the problem that I have "obtain an IP address automatically" selected (Win XP)? I have a fake DNS address, do I also need a fake IP address? Is it easy, difficult or impossible to enter a fake IP address after you've connected to the VPN? Which fake IP should I use?

Or is the problem something else?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.