HOSTS Secure

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by shux, Nov 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shux

shux Registered Member

2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi shux & welcome to the forum

It looks nice, but is why NET Framework 1.1 necessary, i don't use that you see.:)

3. Arup

Arup Guest

Shux,

Thanks for the program, I am using HOSTS file for the first time so decided to try it out with your program, so far looks nice and easy with no issues, updated MVP easily without any hitches.

Don,

.NET is MS answer to Java and many of today's programs are being written with it, installing it does no harm to your system and soon will be necessary since quite a few programs are written with it, NASA uses it for their World Wind program for instance.

4. shux

shux Registered Member

Hi, thanks for giving it a try! I'll be constantly updating it and changing/optimizing the code =). I'm currently learning VB.NET and a little of C#, so yup =).

Edit: Oh ya, please feel free to post comments and suggestions, what else you would like to see, etc. I'll try to implement them if possible =).

Last edited: Nov 8, 2005
  5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Good work :)

It only lacks HTTP Server and an Editor... ;)

6. shux

shux Registered Member

Hi, thanks! I originally wanted to write an editor, but there's already a very good one called Hoster. I'll might implement it at a later date though. Regarding the HTTP Server part, I don't really get what you mean =\. Please elaborate. Thanks! =)

7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I use the HostsMan, and the description that they have for HTTP server is:

Hope that this help ;)

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

IMHO .NET is part of M$'s effort to supplant Java (a cross platform language) with something that ONLY runs under Windoze.

I would be interested in trying your program if it ran under Java, VB, C++ et alia. But NOT .NET -- noooo way!

9. Don Pelotas

Hi Arup

So far i have been able to avoid it, it doesn't agree with my pc and no other program that i use needs it. Like bellgamin i would like to try this program, but only without the need for .NET Framework.:)

10. toadbee

toadbee Registered Member

Hey Shux - I am hoping you are using the current version of Hoster - I will never use .NET garbage ;) -funkytoad

11. shux

shux Registered Member

Hi all, I don't understand all this negativity towards the .NET framework. I've tested Visual Studio 2005 in school and I think Microsoft is really working hard and it's really good. In fact, I would like to re-write this program using it once I'm more or less done with it. I did Java previously, before deciding to focus on .NET Framework, in particular, C# (although this program is done in VB.NET). In the past, when a program was written in VB6, you also needed to download the runtimes. Same for Java, you need the runtimes. Why all these negativity towards the .NET Framework? =(

Vampiric_Crow: I get it now, thanks =). I'm going to install HostMan now. It seems like a really good program =).

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I also don't understand that...
    Really good ;)

13. Arup

Arup Guest

Shux,

Don't worry, I teach Comp Science and Math at univ and can tell you .NET is it along with Java, most students opt for both and end up developing more apps with .NET so take heart, majority of apps from MS are soon going to be written with .NET, specially for XP 64 and Vista, you are on the right track, bear in mind, NASA wrote World Wind with .NET and its pretty stable for a resource and process intensive program. The GUI and GDI intense features work out quite well with .NET so the lure for it, quite justified too.

14. chew

chew Registered Member

Shux Nice programme. Could I suggest including some step-by-step instruction on how to install and to unistall your programme please. I just wish all freewares provide clear instructions on what to do for novice like me. I want to try it but dare not because I really don't know how to start really. Cheers Chew

15. Don Pelotas

Hi shux

I can only speak for myself. I'm sorry if it is me you were thinking of regarding sounding negative, i can assure that i'm only posting my critique.

The simple fact is that .NET Framework doesn't work well on my system and i can't see the reason to use .NET Framework which is still not that widely used in home pc's, when java for example is installed on more or less all pc's.

It's pity, because your program is something i could use and as i said in my first post, i actually like the look of it, so no need to apologies for what you call "the ugliness" on your site.;) :)

16. shux

shux Registered Member

Hi all, thanks again for all the comments.

Vampiric_Crow: HostsMan is really good! =) I'm still wondering how they lock the HOSTS file =X.

Arup: Thanks ^^.

chew: I'll write a something like that on the website soon, around the same time I'll re-design the site. Sorry about the lack of instructions =\.

Don Pelotas: No offense taken, don't worry! =) Ok, what's wrong with .NET on your PC? =)

17. Arup

Arup Guest

Shek,

Hosts file is locked by changing the attribues of the file to hidden and read only, probably done by a batch or script file.

18. shux

shux Registered Member

Hi Arup, normally it's done this way (mine included). But HostsMan one isn't. I've checked it already =\.

19. Arup

Arup Guest

Shek,

If you were to open up options and check on the hosts protection tab, it mentions hidden, read only and system attribute for hosts file so I am wondering what other methods is he implementing.

20. shux

shux Registered Member

If I don't remember wrongly, that protection only happens when HostsMan is not running. =\

21. webster

webster Registered Member

You´re right, but Hostsman is also protected while running. You can choose to block hijackers, or disable them. Disabling them is a good option, because some hijackers will create there own hostsfile, if they for some reason cannot access the original.

22. Don Pelotas

It becomes unstable. Good luck with your project.:)

23. shux

shux Registered Member

Hi all,

Thanks for all the suggestions and stuff! I've just downloaded Visual Basic 2005 Express, and I'll probably re-code the entire program =). I intend to add in some features such as the ability to download from other sources, as well as a HOSTS file monitor. The HTTP server seems nice too, will look into it ^_^.

24. Arup

Arup Guest

Shux,

Would have preferred that you stuck to .NET, its based on C roughly, a far better alternative, VB is not a compiler, why not try VC++ instead, far more stable and trusty language.

25. shux

shux Registered Member

Arup, I don't get you =\. This application is coded in VB.NET 2003, and now I intend to re-code it for VB.NET 2005, and make some optimizations along the way. =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.