Hitman Pro Support and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by yashau, Mar 20, 2009.

1. erikloman

erikloman Developer

Re: Anyone tried out Hitman Pro?

Hitman Pro uses the proxy configuration of Internet Explorer.

So configure your proxy in Windows Control Panel > Internet Options -> Tab: Connections > Button: LAN settings > Proxy Server .

2. b run

b run Registered Member

thanks for your replay
    in my LAN (at work) the proxy settings are configured with a script
    and Hitman Pro can't read it and can't connect.
    A manual configuration of the proxy in Hitman Pro maybe could be
    more useful.

thanks
    b run

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Erik can answer better but, knowing Avira, maybe one was a FP. Has happened before. They give a score based on all scanners and if Avira was the only one that hit on it, well.

But again, Erik can answer this better. I know with what limited selection I have it has been right on the money. But my results should be placed in the BS catagory.;)

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

and to say a tad more, Avira is the only one that labels Limewires main page malware. No other AV does. Again though, I can be wrong.

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well thats not being nice. Let him explain and if you still feel that way, well you are entitled to. HP doesnt scan every file either. They clearly state that.

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well it is a very good question, and I shot off a email to, so lets see what the answer is. Kind of late where he is though. But yes, good question.

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well mate, here ya go. You said the one it didnt hit was ms.exe, but it hit it for me.

Attached Files:

8. erikloman

erikloman Developer

So it is found in C:\Windows\new folder but it isn't when it is on the desktop.

That sounds like a potential problem with the internal workings of the behavioral scan. I will have a look at it in the morning as it is 11:30pm here in The Netherlands.

If you could send me the ms.exe to erik(at)surfright.nl address I can take a swing at it as soon as I am in the office. Must sleep first :blink: .

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

whoaaaaaaa! There must have been a little something extra in what you sent. I installed all on a non protected system to test Hitman. There was one file c:windows/amd/google.dll that Hitman wanted to clean on reboot but it came up saying it could not. I could not even get it to boot into safe mode. Downloaded Prevx and it found 3 files still infected that Hitman did not. Doing a full san now with Prevx. Before the files Prevx found were deleted, IE would not work. So at this point trying full settings with Prevx.

I dont care about this old computer, but this is a damn good test of Hitman,:thumbd: and may be Prevx. And yes Bubba, I didnt lie, here is the perfect example of the person who doesnt know better and you see what can happen. So at the expense of this PC, I am trying to prove my point of the thread about "The Bottom Line." At my own cost, I am proving you can not trust any setup to be fool proof. Of course if Prevx bails me out of this and saves me goingto Best Buy tonight, well, maybe I will keep my big mouth shut.

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

nope, Prevx cant clean it. This one is fried and time to replace it. Now for my last statement here, and I never thought I would say it, ssj100 you may be exactly right about cloud scanning and their lack of actually scanning all files. Getting the 64 bit out of mothballs and putting Eset back on it.

I learned a valued lesson today. Screw new technology and stick with the old. See ya Christmas Eve.;)

11. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Just came across the new posts in this thread - feel free to send me a scan log and I'll see what's going wrong in our cleanup process to allow you to clean your system properly :)

12. PrevxHelp

If a file has changed it will be scanned (the cache is dropped on changes) and the caching is intelligent based on the age of the file (so files that have been known as trusted for 5 years will not be rescanned frequently but files that just appeared 5 seconds ago will be rescanned immediately, for instance).

Sorry about the confusion - you are indeed correct. Deciphering German accents is apparently not my specialty! :D

Prevx and Hitman Pro both focus on real threats - we aren't concerned with users that just have idle files in random folders on their disk: we're looking for real, live threats on the system. Prevx scans all files on the desktop as well as in other dormant locations (including every system file) but we primarily focus on files which are active or can become active.

The files which you would find with Hitman Pro/Prevx in a full scan that would not be found during the default scan are most likely irrelevant to the security of the system and, if found on a real-world user's PC, they would be dormant pieces of a partially cleaned infection, not actually threats to the user (and in the case of Prevx with realtime protection enabeld, if a file was to try and then load even if it is in a dormant location, it will be scanned and blocked in realtime).

13. PrevxHelp

This is expected.

The right click scan only runs a portion of the scan engine against the files - it is made for a quick check and only utilizes a quick check with the database rather than a full heuristic comparison, which explains the inconsistencies.

If any of the files were to try and run, they would be immediately flagged with the full checks.

14. PrevxHelp

Note that HitmanPro does not use the same scan engine as just the quick check for a right click scan - they use a more complete scan engine within our cloud.

15. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

But with the speed of scanning both provide, they're both focussing on active running threats, not on a dormant file that isn't a threat (well not right this second).

If the scan speed was the same as a traditional AV, and took say 2 hours for a full scan, then you have the situation where users complain, 'this slow scan speed is driving me nuts and slowing my whole system down making it unusable!' etc etc.

Both have their pros and cons. All depends on which suits your system/situation.

16. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Totally agree.

For now though, Hitman Pro isn't promoting to be total protection, but would suit a user running say Avira or Avast. I think it's good how they promote the full version of their software for free if you buy another vendor's program.

But back to its protection, if you're running say light AV such as Avira or Avast, that are scanning every file, and throw in another layer such as prevx and/or hitman pro, not only you receive that second opinion, but you have even more support that these smaller companies seem to deliver (Joe, Erik etc).

Back to what happened to trjam, testing files requires a bullet proof setup, and running under virtualisation. The problem file might not even be recognised by the leading AVs.

Would program X+Y+Z have got it? Maybe. Would the setup get the next file similar to it? Maybe not. Sometimes, you just get burned. That's why we're all here, to learn how not to. If there was one way (to not get toasted), we all would have logged off by now for good and just use that one program.

17. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

cloud scanners like hp/prevx are best described by prevx tagline
    and that is the hitch checking periodically is cool,the clean pc tick mark is assuring but to dump traditional,tested and tried security for this is a tad risky for their focus is active threats and just like bb's a miss and one is hosed not that traditional av/as/hips don't miss but in that setup chances of catching the malware or atleast knowing something is fishy are more than being in the clouds. Sandboxie users who recover files and want a right click scan are ill served with cloudies and trusting SB +av is far practical then searching the clouds

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

on closer review it appears Prevx did clean that last remnant. Very good. :thumb:

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Hitman is a very good product but I just dont see the market for on demand scanners. I know there is one because quite a few here talk about it. If this product were actually active with those scanning engines, well to me, what can one say. It would be Prevx on steroids. And that would be cool.

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

but, what if you could could set the product to be only active with certain internet facing applications and only scan those files either at the end of a session or a pre-determined timeframe.

Example, I boot up, nothing get scans. I go on the internet and either at the time I close my browser or say after 3 minutes of surfing, Hitman only would scan those files that were changed during my session.

21. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

u culd say that for on-demand as well since its the same as a real-time scan just its only wen u choose to.

or does Hitman scan with each engine individually then go to the next (although that sounds like it wuld make a full system scan take forever using each engine scanning the system one after another. but then again maybe thats the reason Hitman scans like prevx does so that it doesnt take ages to scan with each engine individually)

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Doesnt G-Data and a few others already do it.

call it selective cloud scanning. Why waste resources scanning a file on execution if nothing from either the internet side or USB side has touched it. Only scan what has been out on a date, you dont need to scan the nerd sitting on the couch watching TV all night.;)

23. trjam

trjam Registered Member

hitman has a different way then scanning with one after another and you are right it would take ages. What I am offering is a different way of using their method to act in real time, instead of all time.

24. erikloman

erikloman Developer

We think there is a huge market as we see that over 60% of the people that use our software have an internet security suite installed and still got infected. This is due to since AV vendors can only do so much to keep up with the constant spread of new malware. Combining multiple vendors increases the detection ratio significantly. Vendors say that they send out signature updates every 2 hours but that doesn't mean that the update contains the signature of the infection you just got. On average it takes days before an infection is recognized by a vendor (some are quicker than others though).

The way Hitman Pro currently works is that it doesn't have to upload all PE-files to the Scan Cloud it finds. Most people don't have huge upstreams so we need to limit what we send to the cloud. But the more people use our software the less an individual needs to upload as it was already uploaded by another user.

Hitman Pro 3.6 will have a regular full scan option that doesn't use the behavioral approach and thus uploads each and every PE-file that is unknown to the cloud.

The thing with cloud computing is that each scanner is running on a separate computer (redundantly) in the cloud and not on the user's computer. There is one scanner on the computer that consults the Scan Cloud containing the software from multiple vendors. This way you don't have conflicts and scanning has to be performed only once (a single run).

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I know, but dont know, their is a higher purpose for this product. I just want to know. It is to damn good to be wasted on being a on demand scanner. There are to many freebies for that. Erik?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.