highlighted in red

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by tutankamon, Dec 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tutankamon

tutankamon Registered Member

Hi all,
    Now that I have got Port Explorer up and running I have printed out part of the Help files, and am working through them. I use Sygate Personal Firewall and when I run PE it shows the following in red:
    -4983 UDP 0.0.0.0. 1025 *.* *.* * Listening 0/0 0/0 smc.exe
    The next line says:
    -4983 UDP 127.0.0.1 1028 127.0.0.1 1028 Listening 2/2 2/2 smc.exe
    Now I have run TDS3, AVG6, Spybot, and nothing untowards has been reported so I`m not concerned about a threat, but why does PE show my firewall in red?

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi tutankamon, If you open the Sygate firewall window your red will turn to black :) It is because Sygate does not have a window open and therefore is hidden - hidden connections are shown in red.
    This is to allow you to see any possible programmes or Trojans that would normally be hidden & could possibly be malware.

HTH Pilli

3. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

And if you use Process Guard they cant "fake netstat" or "cloak" the trojan. A DLL trojan wont get INSIDE a process so only REAL PROCESS trojans can run. No hiding no faking no injecting.

And it will show up in Port Explorer with red sockets.. and light up your firewall BEFORE that. If you allowed it Port Explorer would still show it. Protect Port Explorer so it cant be killed :D

4. tutankamon

Thanks for the replies, very helpful, I`ve opened Sygate and the lines are in black! Process Guard?? where do I find that?

5. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

tutankamon,

Process Guard page: over here ;)

regards.

paul

6. tutankamon

Sorry, ignore that question on Process Guard I just noticed the link at the end of your post. I followed the link but I am using M.E. which does not appear to be included.

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Unfortunatley PG is only for W2K, XP & Server 2003

8. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there again Tut! You'll notice when you click the icon of a program in the systray the characters become black as well.
    Good that you don't confuse the red characters for hidden with the highlight red which mens dead socket closing as you can see in the color settings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.