high cpu usage question

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Cosmin3, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cosmin3

Cosmin3 Registered Member

Hi.
    Sorry for my english.
    I'm new here so please be patient with me if I'm doing something wrong.
    I searched before posting but I couldn't find an answer to my question. But if it exists please show me the post...

Currently I'm evaluating Eset Nod32 Antivirus 4. I noticed the same problem that I had with 3.x versions (on another computer): sometimes it takes 100% CPU (one of the 2 processors) for a long time (dozens of minutes).
    It's not a virus - I checked the computer with 3 other antivirus programs and found nothing.
    It's not something that comes from the internet connection - even with internet connection closed does the same.
    And also it's not from my actions (opening a folder, renaming a file etc).
    In the interface it's showing all normal (no scanning or other actions).
    OS is XP SP3 newly installed.
    In the posts found when searching this forum someone suggested a problem with update module. But I'm not sure...
    With 3.x versions I solved the problem manually: forcibly closing ekrn.exe. With 4.x I can't do the same (because of the protection)...

My question is: how can this problem be solved..? Because in these conditions I will not buy a license...
    Thank you for any reply.

Best regards, Cosmin3

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  2. pinjoa

pinjoa Registered Member

hello,
    can you find what proccess is using high cpu time?
    • if the answer is "ekrn.exe" you need to find what files are in the scanner list
    • with procexp tool from sysinternals you can see what files "ekrn.exe" are opened

3. Cosmin3

Yes, it's ekrn.exe.
    I downloaded Process Explorer. I found ekrn.exe in the tree.
    Where specifically in this program I can found informations about currently opened files (by ekrn.exe)..?

4. vtol

vtol Registered Member

might be better to use process monitor, procmon.exe

there you can set also a filter for specific processes. perhaps also an idea to keep an eye on explorer.exe for that part, not just ekrn.exe

5. jedi_m

jedi_m Registered Member

Cosmin, I believe you have other program(s) that has compatibility issues with NOD32, not just Windows XP SP3 (fresh installed). I had the same experience with NOD32 and Autodesk Inventor 2008, but I've excluded this program from scanning and everything was OK. A Sysinspector scan log send to ESET could help, or maybe other guys here could find the problem if you post the scan log.
    jedi_m
    btw, your english is good

6. Cosmin3

Here is the Sysinspector scan log: http://www.mediafire.com/?omymdkoqdjl
    By the way, you'll notice some unusual programs: DelTempFiles, Intermediar, W2Click etc. They are programs made by me (I'm a Delphi programmer).

A friend told me a way to solve this problem (worked for him anyway):
    Setup >> Enter entire advanced setup tree >> Real-time file system protection >> deactivate "Removable media" and "Network drives".
    Is it ok to do this..?

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Do you open files from network drives frequently?

8. Cosmin3

No, I don't. I don't use/access network drives.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  9. Cosmin3

I think it happened again, but I can't be 100% sure that it's the problem that I mentioned.
    Here is the log file from Process monitor: http://www.mediafire.com/?y4ymahewjam
    It shows only activity from ekrn.exe for a period of few minutes.
    A strange thing: most of the time is reading/writing from "D:\Sistem\Temp\NODF70.tmp" file. It's like is in a loop.
    By the way, "D:\Sistem\Temp\" on my OS is %TMP% and %TEMP% variables (current user and system).

10. Marcos

1, Open the main setup, navigate to Real-time file system protection -> ThreatSense parameters setup -> Objects and make sure Runtime packers are disabled. Likewise, under Options disable Advanced heuristics.

2, should the problem persist, create another Procmon log but this time with ALL applications logged, not just ekrn.exe/egui.exe.

11. Cosmin3

Ok, I will do that. I'm just curious why, since disabling them decreases the protection...

I logged only ekrn.exe because:
    - I wanted to see clearer which files opens;
    - I never use Explorer as a File Manager;
    - only ekrn.exe generated a 39MB log file (!). I think that when all processes are logged it will be hundred of MB...

But I will try to log all...

12. Marcos

With default settings, it's almost impossible that you could get infected with a threat that is recognized either by a signature or heuristics.

If you log only operations during the time needed to reproduce the problem and subsequently zip it, it should be reasonably small. Memory dumps are sgnificantly larger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.