hiding from a stalker who looks at ip

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by stoniest13, Jun 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stoniest13

stoniest13 Registered Member

Hi,
    This is a weird problem, but one which I think is easily solved by knowledgable people!

There's an IRC site that I have enjoyed for some time. This one weird guy just fixated on me/obsessed about me for absolutely no reason. Just a crazy person, you know?

At first I just changed my nick on there. Well, when you sign in it shows your IP address and ISP. So duh, he found me again, because I was still on the same channels.

Anyway, then I got findnot. It's nothing fancy, but it seemed like enough just to put him off the track, you know? Well that worked for a few months. Now a few days ago, their servers stopped working, I can't get their cust sevice to answer my emails, and their website isnt up. I just paid for three more stinking months, too. (Anyone know what's up with them?)

So my question is, what is the best way to hide out, in this specific situation? Just wanting to avoid one crazy guy on an IRC site. He's crazy enough that I had to change my residence, change all my mail to a PO box, get rid of my landline phone, and change my cell number twice. Changed email multiple times. For Xmas, he sent to my (now former) email a picture of a semi-automatic weapon and said he had a "present" for me. Sigh.

Suggestions welcome, I didn't do any thing to encourage this person, he's just a nut. Police won't do anything, btw, unless he makes an overt threat. Saying he's got a "present" for me, doesn't count.

Thanks,
    stoniest13

2. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Hi,

Sorry to hear about all that. The authorities are like that, unless they have evidence of an actual crime being committed, they won't/can't do much. Even then they might not, depending what it is, or how much of a priority they give it !

I don't know why you included all your personal info etc wherever you did, for someone to discover ? I've also been hearing about Findnot having a few problems lately, but there are other solutions, here's just a few

http://www.anonymizer.com/

http://www.tenebril.com/

Google etc for more, and

You can also use one of hundreds of free web anonymous proxy sites which will hide your IP, here's just one

http://www.shysurfer.com/

I wouldn't use the free ones for emailing etc though, but for general surfing when you want to be anonymous they are fine. Do some checking and research first on the backgrounds etc of any and all you might use, free or paid ! Google etc for anonymous proxys

StevieO

3. stoniest13

Thanks for the ideas, StevieO.

Just cuz you asked (!), I didn't post my info online. All he knew about me, from just chit-chat on the IRC with various people was

my first name
    my dad's first name, and what he (very generally!) does for a living.

He was also able to see from the IP, the metropolitan area. From this he could google, and he found a web page with a lot of my dad's professional info. So then he had our last name. From what I can guess, then one of those information-selling sites gave him the rest of his info. He had our addresses for the last however long, my email, everyone's DOB. He even had my cell a couple times, but I don't know how he did that.

So, he did this all from two first names and an IP addy. It wasn't like I was sitting there saying "Stalker, please target me!" Needless to say, no, no one has even my first name anymore.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to reply. :)

Stoniest13

4. stoniest13

hm...
    Still looking for a solution...

anonymizer works in the browser, not in the IRC client, which is what I need it for.

tenebril seems to be basically the same thing.

shysurfer kind of intimidated me, i don't know how to choose.

I just want my IP hidden in this one setting (for IRC).

Thanks so much for any ideas.

stoniest13

5. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

I'm guessing that you must have a static IP assigned to you by your ISP rather than a dynamic one. A static one is very much easier to check up on, by a determined person. If the solutions offered don't work for whatever reason, then you might have to change your ISP to one that allocates a dynamic IP, and then use a new screen name for IRC etc. If you post on the same/similar topics in a similar style etc, then of course that person might realise it's you, and it could all start over again !

If you want another VPN service like Findnot, then again just Google and check them out, here's one

VPNTunnel with SSL Security

http://vpntunnel.net/

Whether it/they works with IRC i have no idea, you'll have to try it/them.

StevieO

6. stoniest13

StevieO,
    Thanks again... No, it's not static, it's dynamic. When I'm on IRC, it posts an IP address (which anyone can run and get the location / city), and it also posts a string of stuff that identifies the ISP. So, historically, he just clicks on each person in the room(s) and looks for that. I'm not too worried about him seeing similar posts / similar style cuz, mainly he gets on there anymore just to "look for me"--I mean, we're talking a total crazy single-purpose-in-life freak. He doesn't want to stay on there or chat, he just wants to bother me. So if I'm not obviously "there" he seems to stay for one minute and go away again.

Anyway, thanks for the next idea, the VPN thing. I will try that next. I couldn't even have told you that findnot was a VPN, I just clicked on their phone book and like magic I was in Malaysia or New Jersey or Quebec. That's how unknowledgeable I am. I know I can google these things on my own, but I appreciate the help because I'm hoping to find something "reputable" that won't screw up my computer, or won't disappear after 4 months (like findnot, darn them).

The search continues, thanks so much.
    Stoniest13

7. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

You might want to check out,

www.vanheusden.com/cloudish/

and the invisible IRC project (IIP) at

www.invisiblenet.net/IIP

Kind Regards.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  8. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Tor is an anonymiser that can work with IRC but many IRC networks have banned Tor nodes for fear of abuse as a result. However if this individual is harassing you via IRC, why not report it to the admins there and ask them to ban him/her? At least, you should be able to identify his IP (and ISP) and report this to their abuse department. They will want to have logs of course, so you should ensure that your IRC client is configured to save them!

9. stoniest13

Micro and Paranoid2000,

Thank you both so much for your suggestions! I can tell that some of these things like cloudish and Tor would do what I want them to.

However, I'm so...unknowledgeable, when it starts talking about sigs and dlls and stuff, I don't even know what to do or how to make it work. I'm quite pathetic.

I'll try something like this, though, and let you know how it goes. I truly appreciate the kind help from everyone.

Stoniest13

10. Paranoid2000

Relax, everyone else here has come from the same position - just take the time to search for information.

With Tor, you will often need to use software to "socksify" applications (that is, fool them into thinking they have a direct network connection when they are actually running over Tor instead) which would mean either running SocksCap (commercial but free for personal use) or FreeCap (open source) in Windows. However some programs can connect to Socks proxies directly (Firefox and mIRC being 2 examples) so these just need some reconfiguration - TheOnionRouter/TorifyHOWTO has more details on this.

11. dog

dog Guest

Besides the good advice you've received regarding masking your IP. Have you messaged the IRC channels admin regarding the issue?

12. stoniest13

Thanks, Paranoid2000! Conveniently enough, Firefox and mIRC are what I already use...of course, hours later, I still haven't figured out how to make Tor work--heh, typical--but I will check out that link and keep trying...thanks! :)

Very much appreciate the encouragement / help,
    Stoniest13

13. stoniest13

Dog, Thanks for the concern...yes I talked to them briefly, was told how to ignore him, etc. The problem is so much bigger than just the IRC thing. Banning him from one site won't make much difference. In fact, honestly, the more attention he gets, the more it seems to inspire him to continue. He has access to many computers at home and work, he can make himself look totally different--new nicks, new IP, whatever, in a few moments and he's back in business, it seems. I've had this problem with him on various other sites too. Admins can only do so much, and he just keeps finding me. Even the cops won't do anything unless he directly and specifically threatens to hurt me. The obvious (to anyone but an idiot) "Christmas-gift" reference to killing me was not obvious enough for the authorities.

In fact--he was so successful in tracking me down online, for a while I wondered if he mighta somehow put a keylogger on my computer? But I don't think so... That would be a whole 'nother thread, heh.

It's really a matter of dealing with a crazy person. I think the best approach is to hide so well that he just gives up and goes away. Ignore him to death, you know? Thank god he lives in another state (for now).

Stoniest13

14. faterider

faterider Registered Member

stoniest13
    The easiest way to hide your IP is to use simple socks proxy with Mirc. Because you won't have to start Tor or other application with your IRC client every time. Just set it once and forget it.

Find in Mirc's options - "firewall" http://theproxyconnection.com/firewall2.gif (the pic is from google search, so the actual settings in the last version may differ) and insert the proxy address, port and protocol (socks 4 or 5) in the right places.

You won't have a big problem in finding socks proxies, there are quite a lot (google). For example: http://www.samair.ru/proxy/socks.htm Most of them will not work but just keep trying till success ;)

15. alikat

alikat Registered Member

I'm no expert but have come across this program which offers a free trial & seems to be very simple to configure, I don't know what others opinions might be? http://v7soft.net/hide-ip-platinum/

16. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i don't like making direct connections to IRC servers either! are these the things you need to be anonymous -

a socks4 client
    TOR
    IRC client which works with socks4

how do you check you're connecting anonymously?

has anyone used Ubuntu to do this? if so how do you do it? thanks.

17. Paranoid2000

With a browser, check a site like What is my IP Address or Leader Network Tools - the IP they report should differ from that assigned by your ISP (which can, in many cases, be found by typing ipconfig from a command prompt).

For other software, just check that it is connecting via the Tor client and not directly (any half-decent firewall or network monitor tool should confirm this).

18. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

OK, thanks for the help i'll go and set it up.

19. Paranoid2000

Alternative just check connection speed - Tor will be significantly slower than a direct connection. :(

20. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i just tried it out and when i try and connect to Ubuntu IRC i get this

Cannot join #ubuntu (You are banned).

that's what i thought would happen. is there any way to connect to IRC with TOR? if i try again in 10 minutes will it work?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  21. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i'm banned everywhere :mad: does that at least mean i've set it up correctly?

i got in to a channel :D :D did my IP change, or is my IP not banned there, or could it be either one?

i'm still not sure how to check if i'm anoymous because i'm not using a browser, just IRC.

EDIT OK when i joined it said i was using port 9050 and mentioned TOR, so i suppose it's working :cool: IRC is so funny lol

i asked someone what it says when i joined and it says i'm using TOR :cool: it thought it would take hours to get working, but it took 2/3 minutes to install and configure.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  22. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i did try out the speed with my browser and it is too slow for me! however, when i last used Windows i was using JAP which was much, much faster then TORs servers are now, maybe they still are o_O

OT i don't know why i ask questions which i learned the answers to a few years ago like - how do i know if i'm anonymous? :rolleyes: after all the nonsense i wrote in the post above, without thinking about it, i checked my ports. i saw the IRC client was connected to 127.0.0.1:9050 sorry lol

23. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i configured my IRC client to use port 9050 because i didn't think there'd be any DNS requests.

however, last night a friend asked me to fix his PC and i installed mIRC on his PC to get on IRC. the client made a DNS request (we'd been to the pub so i'm alittle unsure when the request was made!) but, i think it was when i was configuring the client - i added the freenode server, and that's when i think the client made the DNS request.

does that sound like the only time an IRC client would make a DNS request? should i chain my client through Privoxy, or is it not needed? thanks.

i tried browsing with TOR again and it was faster then the first go, so it's not quite as slow as i first thought.

24. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

OK, - a DNS request is made when you connect to a new server on IRC.

how do i know if my DNS requests are being leaked? will a leaked DNS go to my ISP and an anonymous one go somewhere else o_O

25. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Hi,If not already suggested, I'm using HTTP TUNNEL works great for any kind of application. I use it at work for IRC, MSN and FTP.Regards,fluxgfx.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.