Hiding Browser and OS Identification

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by beetlejuice, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

What would keep that FF extension from even down loading for me?

I downloaded Promoxitron a couple of months ago, but for now this will help!

2. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

I'm no expert as this thread shows but the extensions sole purpose is to let you change your OS and Browser identification to anything you want it to say. I changed mine to read "Unknown". If the hackers have no idea what Os and browser you're running, it's makes it even harder on them to try to get into your PC.

3. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I think that is the jist of it. Attacks can not be as targeted.

Jimbob

4. dog

dog Guest

Hi Marja,

It won't DL & install unless you have "Allow web sites to install software" checked, and the particular URL listed on the ~white list~ "Allowed Sites" - this is if, you're just clicking on the install button.

The preferable option is to right-click on the file and select "save as" and save the file to a folder of your choosing. Scan it with your AV/AT, if it's clean. First enable that "Allow web sites to install software" option, then In Firefox choose "File" --> "Open File" navigate to where you saved the xpi file and double click it, it will popup the normal install dialog box, Hit "Install", then exit Firefox and when you restart it the new extension will be available. As a good practice, you should go back into the options menu and disable the "Allow web sites to install software" option. ;)

HTH, ;)

Steve

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i get -
    app name - Capt. Kurk
    app version - Spook
    user agent - Monkey Toaster
    Platform - Monkey SP3
    :D :eek:
    i quite like the Monkey SP3 Platform, it's a big improvement on SP2. it does very well in these kind of tests :D :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.