Hi I'm not sure where to post this - computer output to a HDTV in HD Quality

Discussion in 'hardware' started by JohnDole, Mar 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnDole

JohnDole Registered Member

I'm not sure if this is the kind of forum that helps this, but I remember asking something on this forum before.

Is there a place on the forum that I can I can post a question like this?:

I am trying to make a computer / my computer output to a HDTV in HD Quality. Example: Have a video from my computer (HDDVD / BluRay) and output it to the HDTV in the same quality in 1080p/720p? What TV/Computer would I need?

Would my MDG Stealth do this? I also have a HP a1600n. What kind of TV would I need?

If this is not the right forum, or there's another forum that would be better for this kind of question can you post it?

Thank you very much,

JohnDole

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

You need, of course, a TV that supports HD - that's the easy part as most new TVs do. Then you need a graphics card that also supports HD. Older cards do not. Before you come back with a question about which card, you need to establish your budget first. Also note you may need a new power supply to support the added power demands of today's newer, more powerful, graphics cards.

3. JohnDole

My Stealth has a Radeon 2600 HD XT Series. Would that work?

4. Bill_Bright

5. JohnDole

What cables would I need? And what would be a recommended HDTV for doing this?

6. Bill_Bright

Depends on the inputs to the TV, and outputs of the graphics card used.
    We can't pick out your TV - There are 1000s to choose from in all price ranges, though this would be nice; http://www.shopdigitalonline.com/productdetail.asp?productid=1591

That said, HDMI is the latest connection technology for digital connections. DVI carries the same quality video, but no audio.

7. JohnDole

Using my graphics card what kind of cables do you think I'd be using?

8. Bill_Bright

I note the following exchange:

9. JohnDole

Oh ok, do you think my Stealth has the specs to be doing this?

10. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Two integrated dual-link DVI display outputs on your card, both are DVI female.

For instance:
    If the HDTV you have or get, whos resolution should be 1900x1080, has DVI inputs, then all you need is a DVI male to DVI male cable.

On the other hand, if the HDTV doesn't have a DVI input, but has an HDMI input, then you will need a DVI male to HDMI female adapter and an HDMI female to HDMI female cable.

11. Bill_Bright

Specs? Sure. No problem. As Searching_ _ _ noted, you have 2 DVI outputs - and the card's horsepower is more than ample.

Also note the TV you get will CLEARLY say it supports such and such inputs. One that supports connection to a computer or game console will normally say TV/Monitor, or the like. The input types supported may include composite, component, DVI, HDMI, D-Sub, S-Video, cable, and plain old antenna. You want the TV/Monitor to support a digital input via DVI or HDMI so you can take advantage of the digital output of your card, DVI.

Most new TVs have more than you will ever need.

As for the cables - some TV/Monitors come with some, otherwise they will gladly sell you one. They can be expensive. I don't buy the cheapest, but I don't buy the ones with monster prices.

If you need to convert from DVI to HDMI, and you need to buy a cable too, I recommend a DVI to HDMI cable to minimize connections.

12. JohnDole

Do you think the best quality would be DVI to DVI or DVI to HDMI? Will the quality differ in any way?

13. Bill_Bright

In theory, there is no difference. The digital signal in HDMI is the same as DVI - HDMI was developed for home theater systems to carry video and audio in the same small cable. It is just now trickling down into computer hardware. Since most computer users run audio to their computer speakers (and not the TV/Monitor speakers) the lack of audio in DVI is not an issue.

My point about cable vs adapters is about signal degradation that occurs in EVERY connection - so if you can get a cable that already has the necessary connectors, you will not need an adapter, which introduces two more connections in the cable, and lots of places for dirt to collect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.