Hi, Got some Question

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by kat00, Sep 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kat00

kat00 Registered Member

Hello, I purchased Drive Backup up 9.

Couple of questions....

Since I installed the program it now take a fair amout of time to boot the machine, Wy would that be?

I only loaded the operating system on the weekend and it was booting instantly prior to loading this software.

Whenever I click the desck top icon for Paragon it just sits there......If I click it again I get a message that says "Drive engine could not be started because some other dick engine is running" I do this for about 2 miniutes and it eventually launces the software......To launce the software takes a considerable lenghth of time, is this normal?

I have attempted to back the disk up, I get about half way through and I get this error 0x12016.......which apprently means the disk is damaged
    That seems a bit strange to me because its virtually a new disk.

Anyway, sought of nice to be here, Ive got more questions than I bargained for. :(

2. kat00

kat00 Registered Member

Wow, overwhelming repsonse to my questions, thanks for the wlcome too guys :thumb: .

I can live with the errors, for now, I'll buy a new HDD tomorrow and try some more.

But.

Why does it take so long to load the Parragon Software in the Windows enviroment. Can someone answre that?

3. Caos

Caos Registered Member

In my case not problem, load quickly and without problems.

Probably hdd problem.

Regards

4. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello Kat00,

In the case with that error message, it's very possible that the hard drive is defective, unfortunately although it's new. I would run a few tests to make sure of it.

Check Disk:

click Start > Run > type "cmd", click "OK"

In the command prompt, type "chkdisk /r" and schedule a scan the next Windows startup.

A couple other things I would check is if there are any other backup utilities that are running. It is common that two backup utilities conflict each other. Also check if the slow performance isn't just related to Paragon. Run other applications, perform other tasks, and see if it's a global problem on the computer.

Check memory/cpu usages and try to isolate what may cause the problem.

Right-click on the task bar, click "Task Manager"

-Tommy

5. kat00

kat00 Registered Member

Thanks Tommy, I'm convinced the HDD is faulty.

All other aspects, performance ect, are perfect.

The software backs up the other drives without a problem, works unreal and is exactly what I was looking for........ no other utilites onboard so it points to C being a dud.

The software is painfully slow to load, I will replace the drive tonight and hopefully fix the problems. I'll let ya know.

6. kat00

kat00 Registered Member

Well, I replaced the HDD and reloaded the operating system and yep, it backed the drive up.

But

Whats the go with how slow this software is.

I have a bog stock installation. Operating system and mother board drivers only loaded........and Paragon, nothing else, not even anti virus software.

Once I load Paragon, from the time the machine posts it takes 75 seconds to get to the desk top. Prior to loading Paragon it was almost instant.

I click the Paragon icon on the desktop and the logo appears......and just sits there. After 75 seconds I click the logo and it dissapears, I go back to the desk top......I click the Paragon icon again and I get some crap about another HDD engine is accessing the disk.....blah blah blah........after about 3 minutes...out of the blue the software loads.

How do I track down why the software slows the boot process down so much and who do I find out why it takes so long to load the software?

7. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello Kat00,

It's normal for the first bootup to be slow after a restore since the page file needs to be rewritten in the background.

Prior to launching Paragon, was your computer still slow after the initial boot if you were to perform other tasks?

I suspect after a few reboot your computer speeds will be normal again once the page file has materialized.

Only one copy of Paragon software can be run at a time. If for whatever reasons the program was not closed properly, go to Task Manager, and end task "Launcher.exe" before launching again.

8. kat00

kat00 Registered Member

Thanks for your help Tommy...

Found the culprit that's causing the problem.

External USB HDD plugged into a 1.1 port.
    Unplug the drive prior to boot and it boots instantly, click the Paragon icon and it loads instantly. Not ideal because its a pain to find the external drive once paragon is loaded. I want to do scheduled backups so plugging the drive in after booting is not an option.

Its not the fault of the software, more my system configuration.
    In the short term I will just need to put up with the extended boot and software loading time.

I think if I get a MB with onboard USB2.0 ports it will solve the issue.

Otherwise, the software suits my purposes perfectly, very simple to uses............Now, I'm off to delete the registry to make sure the software works :D

9. kat00

kat00 Registered Member

And that's exactly what I did. Trashed the operating system, caused as much damage to the software on the drive as I could, started with boot disk, put the image back and it worked flawlessly. Awesome stuff Paragon.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.