Help

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ???, Oct 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ???

??? Guest

You people seem to know quite a bit about computers... Unlike myself- I'm about as computer literate as a bucket of tomato sauce....
    One of my computers was hit by a virus some time ago. Luckily, I have another operational computer, but I wouldn't mind getting the other one working again.
    The virus basically deleted EVERYTHING on my desktops; when I boot up a desktop, all I see is the desktop image- no icons, no taskbar, nothing. I ran a virus scan, deleted quite a few trojans and backdoor programs... But the virus scan detected 2 viruses that it couldn't disinfect.
    Any idea what virus is killing my desktop?

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi there, can you please follow the steps located here, just use your Anti-virus instead of Nod32.

Hope this helps...

Lets us know how you go...

Cheers :D

3. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hi o_O,

Welcome to Wilders!!!

I am moving your post to the proper forum so it may get more attention.

4. ???

??? Guest

Bah.... Still no luck. The method you gave me deleted a whole fugload of trojans and spyware, but my desktops are still dead.... And so is my CD drive... I'm starting to think a complete reformat is the best thing I can do right now.

5. Blackspear

Try the following as your Windows may now be damaged from the junk that was on there:

Put your Windows CD in the CD ROM

Click start

Click run

Type in CMD

When the black window opens type in

sfc /scannow

SFC (System File Checker, a part of Windows File Protection) will replace any changed/damaged system files with a clean copy. SFC may not solve every problem, but it's a good start.

Let us know how you go...

6. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Which OS? W9.x isn't a very robust OS when compared to NT. You may want to reformat the hard drive anyway if you haven't done so in 3 to 4 years.

Make sure you have a working firewall and antivirus programs before connecting to the internet. Zone Alarm and Avast Home are FREE for personal use. Most malicious stuffs arrive via FREE DOWNLOADS and emails. Ask for help if you aren't sure about the safety of these applications.

7. Blackspear

Sorry I overlooked this part of your message.

That would seem like a good method of attack...

8. ???

??? Guest

Thanks for all the help. I have a hacker friend who has offered to reformat my computer and install a new CD drive for free. Can't get a better deal than that!

9. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

What is he going to leave on it??

10. ????

???? Guest

Nothing. I've known this guy for 10 years. He's not into the whole malware-development thing. Basically, he's a computer expert who just so happens to know quite a few hacking tricks...
    .....Besides, he owes me, anyway. :)

And nod32, I have Zone Alarm and Kaspersky (sp?) Antivirus. I use Windows XP, and I haven't reformatted the HD in about 3 years.

11. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Must be a major screew up to damage WXP. Kaspersky should intercept most bugs if it is functional with an up-to-date virus definition file. Zone Alarm 5.x can be buggy but I don't believe this is the root cause of your problem.

Make sure your buddy delete the old Master Boot Record and reset the BIOS to default configuration. I'm not sure that you have a bad optical drive. In any event, if he cannot reload the WXP CD via the CD ROM and the IDE cables are okay, then you may need a new CD ROM/burner. I'd go with a multi-format DVD writer ($60) instead of a CD-R/RW writer.

DO NOT connect to the internet without a working firewall! Disregard this message if your buddy will reload WXP SP2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.