Help with screensaver not working- may be a virus?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Sidebordz, Dec 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sidebordz

Sidebordz Registered Member

Hello, if anyone can help I would be very appreciative. My parents computer was recently infected with a shellexp.exe spyware/virus. I have since deleted this using hijackthis, but ever since the computer was infected the screensaver has not worked. No matter what I do to change the screensaver settings, it doesn't work. I tried to do a system restore to a time before the shellexp.exe file was infected, but the computer won't allow me to do this. I have a feeling the computer may still be infected with a virus/spyware, but am unable to detect one with a system scan. Anyone know what may be causing the computer to not activate the screensaver, and how I might go about fixing this? I have a hijackthis log, but Im not very familiar with what it all means. Thanks for your help!

-Blake

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

U could post your log over here,

http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10517

if u still suspect existing malware. Just follow the instructions at the link and the experts there will be happy to help u.

snowbound

3. Sidebordz

thanks. I will try that!

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

You're welcome. :)

snowbound

5. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

The best way to get a virus into your computer is to download a screen saver. That's why a good possibility the screen saver won't work is because you removed the malware portion of it. Get rid of the rest of it and don't ever download a screen saver from the web again.

If you get Mcafee's Site Advisor, put a search into Google for screensaver and you will see that more than 90% of the sites are marked with a warning about the contents. There is nothing more dangerous than going into those places and trying to get something for nothing.

6. Sidebordz

I didnt actually download a screensaver, not sure how shellexp.exe got onto my computer, but the problem I am having is that I can't get any screensaver to work, the factory installed screensavers. No matter how long I leave my computer idle, no screensaver ever comes on.

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Have you logged into another account to see if it will work ?

To your knowledge there is no key stuck or mouse problems ?

Bubba

8. Sidebordz

found out it had to do with my wireless keyboard/mouse. Its a microsoft product, and apparently with the powerDVD program that starts at startup running, the screensave will never initiate. I have used msconfig to disable the DVD program at startup, and the screensaver works. Thanks for all your help guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.