Help with restoring from an image?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tmorgan, Jun 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmorgan

tmorgan Registered Member

Hello, we are using True Image Workstation to back up a disk image.

The process we are going through is:

Making a disk image and putting it on a networked computer.
    Then we fdisk'ed the hard drive to test a restore, we left the hard drive unallocated (unpartitioned)
    Booted from the rescue disk, chose Acronis Full (not the safe one), we then chose restore, navigated through the network to where the disk image was kept, and it restored it back and gave us the success message. We then rebooted and it tells us something like:
    "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware..."

So it seems that it is not restoring the whole hard drive?

This is a new dell notebook computer, and we are using the latest build of Acronis Workstation.

We have tried selecting just the mbr and sector 0, same message. We have tried any variation of the few choices you are given and it's the same message. We even tried another saved image from a different laptop that is an exact replica of the one we are testing with and it's the same message.

However, we can reload windows back to the laptop just fine conventionally from the windows xp cd.

Is there a step we are missing, it would seem the steps to restore a hard drive would be simple?

Make a disk image and back it up somewhere
    With the new disk, then load the image back onto the new?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2006
  2. tmorgan

Also, what should the checksum be for the latest build of Acronis Workstation?

Edit: I shouldn't have to have Universal Restore should I? Acronis Workstation's specs itself says that it backs up and restores and all that is needed in and of itself.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2006
  3. tmorgan

Ok...
    We have 10 licenses of workstation. We have backed up images of around 5 laptops before today over the last several days. To test that it is working, we get a new laptop in, installed Acronis Workstation and backed it's drive up over the network to another computer. We could not restore it, it kept giving the error listed in post 1 above. Get this...
    Today, we made another image and it restores fine. Now, we validated both the image from yesterday and from today and it says operation was completed successfully for both of the images...
    Why would one image work and another not? The only thing not installed on the test laptop is NORTON Antivirus. Anyone have problems with it? However, Norton wasn't installed yesterday on the test with the first image that wouldn't work.

This should be simple to use, and it is.. when it works. However, we are finding nothing we are doing different between one that works, and one that doesn't. Our procedures are the same.

Another thing, sometimes it gives us a checkbox beside Disk 1 when we are restoring, other times it only has checkboxes beside the C: xxx and MBR/sector 0

I want to compute with confidence, however, what is making one work and another on the same computer not work is confusing. Help required! Thanks.

4. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

I have TI Home, but since no Workstation user shows up, let me try ...

If you are trying to restore the image to computers with different hardware of what installed on the original one (the image source), that can't be done properly without Universal Restore. Not even after running SysPrep.

Hope that helps while you wait for more info.

5. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

Well, bVolk, you have resolved for me something that has been bothering me since I acquired TI 9. The product is a bit pricey but I suppose in a big corporation it would be peanuts and it would certainly be worth using.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tmorgan,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Workstation Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify if you created the entire hard drive backup or several partitions only? If you created entire disk backup please check "Disk 1" when Restore Backup Wizard ask you to select a disk/partition to restore.

As for the MD5 summ please note that this value for the latest build 3633 of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation is 294f6d881a95031d0b090ef0fb2677c3

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.