Help with problems running Spybot 1.3

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by SteveBradford, Oct 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveBradford

SteveBradford Registered Member

Help with problems running Spybot 1.3

Hi folks, this is my first post to the forum but I’ve been a great fan of Wilders for some time.

I’m in the depths of trying to help a friend (by email) to sort out the mess she has acquired with a second-hand Win98se system, based on the old AMDk2 processor. We have sorted out most of the problems but I have a feeling she still has hidden stuff in the registry that is getting in the way.

We have been able to install a host of cleaning progs (including AdawareSE) that have done their work well, but something is stopping us from installing Spybot 1.3 o_O

On installation she gets the error message: error in module spybot.exe in 0000F47F

I have searched high and low on the net for info re this error and have drawn a complete blank.
    I had assumed that it was a corrupted Win file that was causing the error but have become suspicious since she gets exactly the same error number when trying to run ‘Spider V1.16’, the little standalone .exe to clear the hidden files from index.dat in Internet Explorer. Virtually anything else, including major things like graphics applications, now install without problems,

Any help or clues on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Steve.

2. richrf

richrf Registered Member

3. SteveBradford

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the link to the Spybot forum and I’ll follow that up. Since posting here for help, I have come to the conclusion that my email pal has a distinct shortage of The Visual Basic 6 runtime library in her Win98 setup! She is in the process of downloading the latest SP6 update and I am keeping my fingers crossed that we have cracked the final fault with her system. :doubt:

Thanks again for responding,

Best regards, Steve :)

4. scott lang

scott lang Registered Member

hope you got her fixed up. remember to go to major geeks and get the newer 1.3.1 TX ver. of spybot. installs overtop 1.3.

5. SteveBradford

Hi Scott,

We still can’t get the darn thing to work, even with the new VB6sp6 Runtime Library and Win Installer2. This is a real puzzler and we have now posted on the official Spybot forum, as recommended by Rich.

I didn’t know about 1.3.1 TX though and will download it. Thanks for the tip.

Regards, Chris

6. scott lang

just remember you have to have 1.3 then install 1.3.1 over it.

7. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

You might consider Damage Cleanup. You can run this even if your not a Trend Micro customer.
    There's a "readme" link on the page that will offer additional cleaning insructions.
    For win98, this all happens in safe-mode.

GF

8. scott lang

great info there, globalforce. i m getting them for myself too. never know it might come in handy. thank you

9. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

No problem Scott. Something else that might come in handy for both of you, Stinger. Just make sure to read this first.

GF

10. scott lang

i might need to rescend my info on 1.3.1TX. as everyone knows by now, apparently it wasnt supposed to get released yet. but i have had it on my sys. for almost 2 weeks now and it fixed the dso's and have had no probs with it yet. so i guess the question is, get it if ya want but bewarned it may, according to the official spybot forums render your computer errored now or in the future. when the official ver comes out then i'll get it and reinstall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.