Help with IDs

Discussion in 'FileChecker & ID-Blaster Forum' started by Feivel, Dec 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feivel

Feivel Registered Member

Javacool,

I been a bad boy and didn't use ID Blaster till tonight although I had it on my machine for about 1 month. Well I used it and it was a no-brainer to randomize the default values. Question is, when I go to Windows update, what values have to be restored? Also, does someone have a "list" of programs that should have the ID changed and if so, where in the registry are the values? Anyway, seems like a handy utility to have. Bet Microsoft doesn't like it :)

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

In ID-Blaster Plus, goto the Edit menu, then select "Manual Value Change", then "Manually Edit Win Product ID Values".

Windows Update may work if you don't change them back (test it first) but if WindowsUpdate fails to work, change the first 3 items on that window back to their defaults.

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

Javacool, I use ID Blaster Plus. Could this have anything to do with the problems I've been having with windows update? bob

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

The problems you are experiencing with WindowsUpdate are much different than would be caused by ID-Blaster Plus (potentially). :) With ID-Blaster Plus, at the worst case WindowsUpdate would say you are not allowed to use WindowsUpdate (or something of the sort) until you changed back your product IDs. I have not seen this myself nor have I heard of it happening, but MS keeps saying they will do this so I warn users about it as a precautionary measure.

Best regards,

-Javacool

5. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

:) I use ID Blaster too. The only problem that I can see with Windows Update, is that sometimes it offers you a choice of updates that you've already downloaded. The Windows Update notification still works. Personally, I'm glad to be throwing a wrench into the "works" of Microsoft. :D Speaking of which, isn't "Microsoft Works" an oxymoron? ;)
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.