Help with deciding a firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by gracie123, Aug 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

Hi. This is my first time here, my daughter and I are on a LAN here at our house and we are trying to decide to either go with ZoneAlarm Pro 6 (the latest version of it) or go with Ewido internet security. We seen a "demo" of ewido and how powerful it stopped this virus from spreading on the PC and I am just curious if the new "Triple Defense Firewall" in ZoneAlarm would prevent just as many things as say ewido claims it can.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give.

Take care,

Gracie :)

2. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Ewido is no firewall...

I myself use the latest Tiny Firewall. It's great. Also Outpost does quite well And you can even use the free Netveda. Also cool. Good luck testing them!

3. gracie123

Oh ok... It said it was or maybe I missunderstood it. Anyway, I appreciate the reply Edwin024. :)

Gracie

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ewido doesn't appear to be either a firewall OR an anti-virus, so it seems a little misleading to call itself a "security suite". It looks like it's mostly aimed at preventing or stopping other things. So if you're looking for a firewall then ZoneAlarm Pro would be a better choice.

5. mlr1m

mlr1m Registered Member

I also use Tiny-Pro 2005, and have for a few years now.
    But i cant say id reccomend it for a casual user. It has a very steep learning curve. Its manual is outdated and seldom updated and it can kill your system if you make the wrong settings.
    But! If that doesnt scare you, TPF is the most powerful firewall/security system ive ever used, and i love it.

Michael

6. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Netveda is free, and has many features that are only offered in paid for firewalls, and a few of its features are good for children, like blocking pics, web sites, even erasing personal info that the child types.

7. gracie123

Hi everyone, thank you for replying :). I think my daughter and I will stick with ZoneAlarm Pro 6 for ease of use.

Thanks alot... :)

8. olle

olle Guest

Look'n'Stop

9. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    :cool:

Deciding on w/c firewall to choose can be hard for some people, especially for new comers coz internet offers a lots of them. Some brands are popular and some are not.

First of all when choosing a firewall I think the very first thing to do is to make some research and read some reviews and forums like this coz it really can helps a lot... (and sometimes can help to confuse a lot...) :oops:

Check and observe your pc for a week after installations of the new firewall... if your internet speed is slow, if it didn't passed the stealth tests on scan.sygate.com and grc.com shields up test, if it didn't passed on your outbound tests, and best of all if you've encountered difficulties in configuring it out even if you've already read the manuals, and also if some of your softwares suffers some incompatibility or your pc have crashed... then you have to try some other firewalls. All of them have to be considered when deciding w/c firewall is the best for you.

Zone Alarm is good but for some it slowed down their internet speed and also the start and shutdown is slow compared to other firewalls. And lots of pop-ups annoys some pc users.

Ewido is not an anti-virus, it's more of an anti-spyware or anti-malware and it can also detects Trojans.

Aside from firewalls, you have to install ProcessGuard to protect from unwanted terminations and modifications etc, it is the last defense for undetected trojans that can bypassed the firewalls and also undetected by trojan scanners... the free version is great and the full version has a lot more to offer. Also, SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster for real time anti-spyware monitor.

;)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2005
  10. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I'd go with free kerio 4.2, and it doesn't slow my system down much at all - 512 RAM and a 1.3G AMD processor. You get Network Intrusion Prevention and Application Behavior blocking with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.