Help w/ anti-malware cd

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by headcase2, Apr 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. headcase2

headcase2 Guest

Hi

I'm trying to make my own anti-malware cd (non-bootable) that i can use to scan my friends and family computers for problems/malware. I have added a few programs that i can run off it but was hoping others here could recommend some other good programs i can add to it. Here's what i have so far.

Programs i can run off the cd:

Hijackthis
    CWShredder
    Stinger
    A2 free
    Active Ports
    Spybot
    Adaware
    Belarc Advisor
    Rootkit Revealer
    Windows Malicious software removal tool
    X-Cleaner free

These programs (below) are installer programs i am putting on the cd also so i can put them on their computers if they need them and let me install them (not everyone will let me install all programs that's why some I am running off the cd w/o having to install them).

One note: not all computers will be XP so I have to use programs that are able to be used on 98/ME/2K/XP computers. Not that XP only programs wouldn't be welcome, just that i can't always use them.

Programs i can install to their computers (if they let me):

Spybot.exe
    Adaware.exe (free)
    IESpyad.exe
    WinPatrol.exe
    Firefox.exe
    SpywareBlaster.exe
    SpywareGuard.exe
    ZoneAlarm.exe (free)
    AVG7.exe
    or Avast.exe

Any other good anti-malware and diagnostic tools i could add to it? Free tools are more what i'm looking for. Thanks very much for any input into my project. :)

2. GForce

GForce Guest

Hi Headcase? :D

Quite the nick. :D Anywho, visit SysInternals and grab Process Explorer...among many other fine, free diagnostic tools. A good stand-alone safe mode scanner that comes to mind is offered by TrendMicro, the Damage Cleanup Sysclean Package. This you'll want to update prior to implementing. There are many more posters will add, so hang in there.

GF

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I would add an up to date Ewido

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

5. uber-geek

uber-geek Guest

I tried downloading the System Clean package from TrendMicro. The one that says -

If you are not a Trend Micro customer please download the following file - Sysclean Package 2.9MB

but it won't work. It downloads ok but when I try to open it I get this message that says -

Pattern file LPT$VPN.* is missing, Please download a copy.

What does this mean? And where do I download a copy? Please can someone help?

6. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

Below the link to download the Sysclean package, it says:

"Note that for the Trend Micro Sysclean Package to be effective, you must download and place the latest pattern file in the same folder as the Trend Micro Sysclean Package."

So you need the Windows version of the pattern file from:

http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp

Tricky, isn't it?

Regarding the original topic, I used to rush off to friends and family armed with a CD of "useful stuff" but after throwing away loads of old ones, I now take a USB flash disk everywhere with me. You'll find that whenever you collect several useful utilities for system rescue, you'll see at least one that needs updating every day, so keeping a CD current means burning a new one every time you need one.

The other thought is that however much space you have, it will never quite be enough, since what you'll need will vary from PC to PC. So you start collecting alternatives to the chosen utilities, until you'll easily fill a 1Gb flash disk like I have...

I also take a bootable linux CD (such as Knoppix) whenever I visit a casualty since sometimes Windows is unusable and rescuing any data from the disk is better than losing the lot, wherever possible.

My choices are many and varied and the list has grown over the years to a huge ensemble of players. I can post a full list if requested - as a link to a list elsewhere on the web, if appropriate. This should really be posted somewhere as a FAQ, or at least as an easily accessible chunk of very useful information.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Download link

1. Download the latest pattern file lpt$vpn.XXX in ZIP format as
    lptXXX.ZIP from the following location:

http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp

This file must be saved in the same folder where you run
    this fix package.

2. This tool is designed to run under Windows 9x/ME/NT/2000/XP.

8. uber-geek

uber-geek Guest

Thanks TrickyRicky I understand it now. You need to download ipt590.zip at 6.9MB Thanks very much for your assistance.

Thanks also Ronjor for your post.

I wonder how this TM Systemclean package compares to the free Microworld Antivirus toolkit utility? They look like they might be similar.

9. headcase2

headcase2 Guest

Thanks everyone for the input and ideas, I appreciate all of them. :)

If you wouldn't mind Trickyricky I would be very interested in your list of apps you have used and are now using to clean malware. That would be great if you could post a link to your list. Thanks.

10. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Use this as the basis for your cd. Bart's Preinstalled environment lets you create a personal boot cd, for your purposes only.
    I don know if you may distribute it, though... but there's some legal info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.