Help using Rest2154 / Eraser

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by sun, May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sun

sun Guest

Hi

Im in need of some help about using the above tools. Ive got a new pc and am determined to keep my pc all shiny and new.

Ive got a nice array of security tools installed and try not to install anything i dont really want. But sometimes you cant help it.

Ive heard these are good tools and Ive downloaded them. However im not sure how they work / interact with each other.

Ive used rest2154 to show me files that can be recovered (#880). However how do I delete themo_O Can i use Eraser to remove the files even though they are deleted??

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Yes, you can use Eraser to do a "free-space wipe" on whatever drive the files in question were on. A minimum of three wiping passes (which could take awhile, depending on the capacity of your HD).

Attached Files:

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

"Edit"/"Preferences"/"Erasing"/ "unused disk space" tab:

Enjoy. Pete

Attached Files:

4. mr.privacy

mr.privacy Guest

Anything that is found by Restoration can also be deleted by it. You simply open the program, scan for files, and then after the files that can be found are present, you click "other" in the top right and choose "delete completely".

So Restoration can not only recover files but it can permanently delete those files beyond recovery, at least beyond recovery with Restoration.

But you still MAY be able to recover the files (with other more advanced file recovery programs) that were deleted with Restoration, and in that case follow Spy1's recommendation above and use Eraser to wipe all free space on your hard drive, that will minimize the chances of recovery to nearly nil.

5. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Is there a link for this?
    If I google Rest2154, nothing shows.

Thanks

6. mr.privacy

mr.privacy Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.