Help: USB Wireless Adapter problem

Discussion in 'hardware' started by fce, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fce

fce Registered Member

i have a problem with USB wireless adapter (i think the brand is linksys).

my friends house have two PC. I configure their wireless router to have password. The problem is after i change the set up of wireless router, the other PC with USB wireless adapter cannot connect to the main router after i change the setup by putting password.

Initially it can connect when the main router have no password, but after i put a password it cannot connect. I uninstalled the USB wireless adapter and install it again, same problem.

I remove the password on the main router, but the same proble it cannot connect to the main router.

any body have idea how i can fix the problem?

2. FiOS Dan

FiOS Dan Registered Member

Do you mean a password to access the router settings or a password for the wireless access point? If you mean the latter, then you have to enter that password into the settings of the USB wirless adapter.

3. philby

philby Registered Member

This from the Linksys site is for XP, but there's also a "how-to" link for Vista users in the 2nd note at the top.

philby

4. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Every time you change the password in the router you have to change it in the wireless laptop otherwise you won't be able to logon to the wireless network. USB WNIC are kind of trouble prone because if it doesn't have a vent for heat to escape then it will overheat.

5. fce

fce Registered Member

the problem is i can't find the wireless network (main router) when i try it on the other computer the one with USB wireless adapter.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  6. FiOS Dan

Uh oh...that has nothing to do with passwords. When you right-click on the systray icon for your wireless adapter and then click on "View Available Wireless Networks" you do not see your own router? o_O

7. fce

fce Registered Member

yes thats right. But it was happen when i changed the main router password, after that i can't see any "view available wireless networks" on the other PC with USB Wireless Adapter.

thats why i uninstall and reinstall the USB adapter software....same problem.

8. FiOS Dan

Is "Broadcast SSID" enabled in your router settings?

9. fce

fce Registered Member

yes. before i change the password setting the other PC (with USB Wireless Adapter) CAN connect to the main router.

10. philby

philby Registered Member

Assuming the brand is Linksys (you really need to know this), then it could be that Windows is not throwing up any networks because you have Linksys s/w that does the job instead.

Take a look here and check if the Linksys Wireless Network Monitor is on the machine.

philby

11. fce

fce Registered Member

yes it linksys because the image on your link is the same when i check the PC with USB wireless adapter.....

were getting nearer :D

12. philby

philby Registered Member

Is the SSID presenting itself here?

Capture.JPG

13. fce

fce Registered Member

yes, the SSID is almost the same showing on the image (but with different SSID name for main router), but when i try to connet, it won't connect with error message (i forgot the error message).
    also there's another icon for network (for XP windows network?)....do i need to disable it so that the linksys USB wireless adapter will work or it doesnt matter?

14. FiOS Dan

What happens if you highlight the entry for your router on that screen and click "Connect"?

15. philby

philby Registered Member

OK, now we're back to what you originally said about a "password" and what the other posters asked regarding what you meant by that...

What happens if you hit "connect" for the relevant SSID?

Are you asked for a WEP/WPA/WPA2 key?

16. fce

fce Registered Member

i forgot the error message (almost a month now). but when i google the error message when i repairing the connection problem that time, the solution it says in one of the forum (i forget also the forum link) is to uninstall/reinstall the USB wireless adapter software which i did but with no luck.

17. fce

fce Registered Member

i also forget, but i think NOT. i got an error message when i hit "connect".

btw on the link you posted, where i can get the WEP Key 1, is that a default value or i need to get that on Main Router info?

18. philby

philby Registered Member

I'm not sure I can go much further then...

You should be able to just hit "connect" and input the security key if your network adaptor is installed and working correctly (check under device manager).

Hope you get this resolved - at least now you know why Windows wasn't detecting the SSID.

philby

19. philby

philby Registered Member

Sorry...we crossed.

If you are not asked for any key, then your friend's router hasn't been secured.

If you are asked for a key, then (s)he should know what it is.

Without knowing the exact error message, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas...

philby

20. FiOS Dan

:doubt: ...frustrating lack of information.

21. fce

fce Registered Member

tomorrow i'll post the error message....thanks guys!

22. fce

fce Registered Member

i asked my friend to connect using the step-by-step procudure posted by philby. but its different error message now compare when i do the connection, i remember there is E001 error message (?) but not sure the exact error message.

anyway, he email me this error message...

" Cannot associate with the access point "

"You are connected to the access point, but the internet cannot be found"

23. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I'll say.

fce - you need to get serious about getting the needed information explicitly stated if you want to have any chance of success.

You need to provide a precise statement of all the hardware involved and how it is configured. Do not skip any details. Start at the modem and move back.

On password vs WEP/WPA/WPA2 - you need to know, not think - which is it?

What is the complete set-up? Is the wireless unit being used as a router or a simple access point?

Did you change any other settings (examples might be MAC filtering, static vs dynamic addressing, etc.).

What addresses show up on the adapter cards if you examine their properties (or do a simple command line ipconfig/all)?

You need to stop this piecemeal game of 20 questions and do a comprehensive information dump taking into account this and previous posts. Then we might have a shot at helping you, otherwise there's simply not enough firm information on the table to really even start. Screenshots help - block out private info as needed.

Blue

24. fce

fce Registered Member

i'm serious of fixing this problem, i'm not wasting my time just to post this thread here. It's just I really don't know
    what to do or what to ask a question to find what are the problem. Now, some of
    the member posted some question/answer it give me an idea what to ask or perform next time
    when i visit my friends house.

this is the problem Blue thats why i'm posting this thread, i dont know what configuration i need to know and how to get
    that configuration so that i can give you enough information to help me.

i disable the Main Router password since the USB wireless adapter can't connect....initially i
    set up WEP, but since the USB wireless adapter cannot connect to Main router i disable the main
    router password....now there's no password but still the USB adapter cannot connect to main router.

the Main Router is used by another PC which the USB wireless Adapter is connected.
    I dont know what simple access point means, my freinds house have 2pc. One is use by his father (Main router) and the other one is on my friends room (the one with USB wireless adapter)

No.

I'll try this next time when i visit my friends house.

Blue, if i'm knowledgable on this matter I wont ask this question here and waisted your time and my time.

Thank you for your time though.

25. philby

philby Registered Member

Hello again

Reading the above, I'm still not sure I understand your set-up.

It might be similar to mine - I have a router that 2 machines go through for internet access and file sharing.

Have you tried resetting the router to default and starting again?

I don't know about Linksys devices, but with my Netgear I just use a pen to press a little recessed button on the router.

You could then try to connect to the (unsecured) network on both machines before setting up security again.

philby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.