HELP!! TI 10 will not recognize my external USB HD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by SearchCOPS, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SearchCOPS

SearchCOPS Registered Member

Folks, I am not a novice, however this problem is quickly morphing me into one :p

I have an IBM Thinkpad G40 - Windows XP PRO

I recently purchased a new Toshiba 2.5" 40GB HD to replace my current 20GB drive. I also purchased a crumby Dynex USB 2.0 HD 2.5" enclosure. I own TI 10 and thought, hey, maybe I could simply clone the current Laptop HD onto the Toshiba 40GB in the crumby Dynex USB 2.0 HD 2.5" enclosure - BOY WAS I WRONG!

I previously was attempting this same feat with Ghost & Ghost would actually (at least) find the external drive only to succumb to errors during the final process. A friend of mine in another forum referred me to Acronis as my 'Knight in Shining Armour" - however, I have tried at least 8 googleplex ;) different configurations and such to no avail - TI 10 will NOT recognize the USB enclosure drive. I scoured google & your forums & while some 'touch on' similar events and possible troubleshooting solutions (usually within the imaging context)-none seem to directly correlate the current malbehaviours that I am experiencing. Anybody have any idears as to a possible solution? I have already given up & have ordered one of those 40 to 44 pin adapters to do it the 'old way'- it seems that in this day and age of technology, there would exist some software method to accomplish this rather technological draconian feat. As I noted, I am attempting to CLONE the existing master HD (already installed 20GB) to the crumby Dynex 2.0 USB 2.5" Toshiba 40GB HD Enclosure - so that I could simply drop in the Toshiba 40GB into the laptop & hopefully voila! I know that one of you are probably going to send me to another thread in which this has been thoroughly troubleshot & make me feel like an idiot, however, this process has beaten you to the punch :p I already am an idiot & the only escape from my malevolent malkovich-like sanctum is for someone to baby me through this process. Thank you & I await your brilliance :)

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Can you see all the external USB drives in Windows Explorer?

If not, then there's your problem. Something is wrong with the USB hardware or the Windows native drivers for this system.

If you see the drives in Windows,now, try making an image - not a clone. Have you ever been able to see any external USB drive on this computer with TI 10 and made an image to it?

If not, then this is very strange because if Windows can see the drives to make an image, TI should also in Windows.

If cloning fails in Windows, the alternative is to boot from the TI Recovery CD and make the clone in the Linux environment. Have you tried that? What was the result?

If the TI Recovery CD can't see your drives but you could see them in Windows, a BartPE boot disk may be the way to get this job done.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  3. SearchCOPS

SearchCOPS Registered Member

[Can you see all the external USB drives in Windows Explorer?]

You would think that with all the time I spent reading these forums before posting, that I would not make a serious boneheaded mistake like not mentioning if my drive was being recognized by windows. Yet, somehow, I did make that mistake :(

Yes, windows does recognize the HD-I remember back in the early stages of my plight, I would wake up suddenly in the middle of the night exclaiming things like "I forgot to format the new HD"-than I would format the HD to no avail or "I should set the USB enclosure HD to 'slave'-that resulted in windows not even being able to recognize the drive.

[Have you ever been able to see any external USB drive on this computer with TI 10 and made an image to it?]

John, this is really the first I have tried it-my previous failures were all done on Norton Ghost.

[If cloning fails in Windows, the alternative is to boot from the TI Recovery CD and make the clone in the Linux environment. Have you tried that? What was the result?]

Once again, remember you are talking to a dummy-how do you create a TI Recovery CD? Secondly, how on earth could you use a linux environment to accomplish this?

[If the TI Recovery CD can't see your drives but you could see them in Windows, a BartPE boot disk may be the way to get this job done.]

How would I use the BartPE disk to accomplish this? Would I use this in conjunction with TI? This whole 'trials & tribulations (minus the tribulations part)' thingie is very emasculating. I really though I at least had a rudementary understanding of these types of things-however, it is obvious that I do not.

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

SearchCOPS,
    Perhaps you can recall when installing some other programs such a Ghost,Norton AV,Partition Magic et al that they all recomended the creation of a startup CD or floppy set.
    In the case of True image the recovery environment is actually a version of Linux and when you have a broken hard drive the only way to proceed is to boot from a TI recovery CD.
    There are full instructions how to create a TI recovery CD in the manual, help pages, Faqs, and links in various posters Sigs. GroverH is a good source.

So create an Acronis recovery CD as a first step and then move on from there.

Xpilot

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Let's not worry now about a BartPE disk. It's a boot disk that runs a mini-version of Windows instead of Linux and you run TI from that disk instead of the TI Recovery CD.

Try the TI disk first. It will boot up to a screen that looks almost exactly like the Windows version of TI. You can make images or clone a disk from there.

Let us know what you see and any problems you have.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello SearchCOPS,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please make sure you use the latest build (4942) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If updating doesn't solve the problem, please download the latest version of Acronis drivers and install it with disabled logging.

If that doesn't help, could you please clarify, does the problem appear when going through "Clone Disk" Wizard, or after the cloning process starts?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.