help reinstalling

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by mh39, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mh39

mh39 Registered Member

I know very little about computers and have just had the hard drive replaced on my laptop.

I went to eset website and downloaded the antivirus but it is not updating and needed to be repaired to get a shortcut icon working.

I'm getting error message - failed to read firewall configuration.

current version showing is 4.2.40.0 signature database 4972

I've uninstalled it twice and reloaded with windows defender on and off.

There's an option in windows security centre to turn on the protection but it does not register when i try to turn it on.

Any help would be appreciated as this is where i was directed for support.

2. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

When you got the drive replaced, did you also have to reload Windows from scratch? If not, did whomever replaced the drive also replace Windows - and if so, was it from a clean install or did they suck the data off your old drive? or perhaps use a Repair disk, or a Recovery disc?

I don't understand this statement you made:

"needed to be repaired to get a shortcut icon working."

What actually need to be repaired? This implies you already had ESET loaded, is that correct?

Jim

3. mh39

mh39 Registered Member

When you got the drive replaced, did you also have to reload Windows from scratch? If not, did whomever replaced the drive also replace Windows - and if so, was it from a clean install or did they suck the data off your old drive? or perhaps use a Repair disk, or a Recovery disc?

The person from Dell who replaced the drive reinstalled from scratch with driver disc and vista.

I don't understand this statement you made:

"needed to be repaired to get a shortcut icon working."

When i attempted to uninstall after switching off windows defender, there was a repair option on the wizard. Only when i chose the repair otion and restarted the computer, did the shortcut icon appear to access the program (which claims to be up to date - but reads 20100324)

What actually need to be repaired? This implies you already had ESET loaded, is that correct?

The program didn't display after initial load, neither did any shortcut.

4. jimwillsher

5. mh39

mh39 Registered Member

Thanks Jim,

i'll give it a try

6. mh39

mh39 Registered Member

I uninstalled it in safe mode as advised, and downloaded the program again, but it hasn't worked.

In windows security centre there is an option to turn on NOD32 but when prompted, Yes i trust this program, nothing happens.

7. jimwillsher

Not easy to diagnose remotely, but it does seem very unusual to have problems like this on a clean, new install.

I don't like things beating me so I'm happy to help via remote assistance, but that's clearly your call. PM me if you trust me to help.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.