Help, Please!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Curt, Dec 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curt

Curt Registered Member

I am trying to restore a total system image to a new hard
    drive in my laptop after my old hard-drive failed. I have a home office and need to leave on a business trip today with my laptop.

I re-loaded the XP Operating system and then went to the Acronis emergency boot cd. When I tried the reload image function, the system does not recognize the external hard-drive and the four files in which the image was stored.

How do I get my image reloaded?

Booting to XP allows me to copy the image files directly to my laptop C:\ drive. Can I load the four files to the "safe" Acronis partition and then reload from that partition?

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi

If by "the safe Acronis partition" you mean the Acronis Secure Zone then the answer is no. Windows can't "see" the SZ, hence you can't copy your image files to it. However, if your new hard drive contains a second (logical) partition then copy your image files to this and use them to restore your Primary, Active, partition.

Regards

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

4. seancfl

seancfl Guest

since you make it clear you need help right now...I may not understand exactly what you're trying to do but here goes:

the boot CD may not recognize the external drive.

If you just installed XP fresh (from your manufactures or microsoft, right?) then INSTALL Acronis in Windows (we're not talking about the boot cd), install the actual product so it shows up in programs.

THEN as long as windows can see the external hard drive, acronis should be able to restore from it.

make sense?
    Sean

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Sean

If the image was of his primary active partition (which I suspect it was) then it can't be restored from within Windows. TI will prompt him to reboot into the Linux based rescue mode (same as booting from the rescue CD) after which he will end up where he was before i.e. TI unable to detect his external HD.

It would have helped if Curt had advised the TI version and build number. If it's not the latest then maybe an update will resolve the problem.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.