Help me build a better system for a slow computer

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by EscapeVelocity, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EscapeVelocity

EscapeVelocity Registered Member

I have a Dual Core with 1 GB and Nvidia Go 7400 that puts it to shame.

Lets not forget that its operating system has been used and abused for 7 or 8 years as well, 7 or 8 years of poorly managed clutter.

2. EscapeVelocity

Interestingly enough, the RAM usage never really gets to 1 GB, but the CPU gets swamped, with multiple browsers (multiple tabs), outlook 2007, and ACDsee running.

That reminds me, what can I do to protect that Outlook 2007.

User is well informed about phishing links and email scam, can spot it pretty well, kindof paranoid in that regard, and also has been taught a password strategy (and the basics of creating more difficult passwords), having an especially tough one for his banking.

Which reminds me, how about a password manager recommendation? Something similar and not to popup-y, instrusive?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  3. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

You've run the same installation of the OS for 7-8 years? My-god... give me some months at HIGHEST and my installation is walking the green mile. :D

4. EscapeVelocity

cruelsister, Im going to work on the services using the tips from BlackViper tonight.

I tweaked all the programs in Firefox....and the settings/preferences/options in Firefox.

I just left Window Firewall on as it doesnt seem to get in the way.

Im keeping the HostsMan, for now. And will be working on Adblocking, IP Blocking, for all browsers. Opera 10, Chrome, IE8.

I tweaked the settings in SafeOnline, boosted them up a little from Default. I need to figure out how to set up that program specifically for a particular banking site, as someone mentioned.

Hoping for some replys on Outlook Email Security Enhancements and a Password Manager, the simpler the better.

Still wondering if a change in AntiVirus would be beneficial to Avast or something. If Threatfire or Mamutu would add anything to Safeonline/Winpatrol. Maybe ditch Winpatrol, but I like its Startup and other tabs. And maybe a resident MBAM paid or another Anti Malware/Spyware would be worth pursuing.

5. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

i do it this way:
    - installation into sandboxie (SB is free with some minor limitations)
    - i look how it runs (in the sandbox, if it runs)
    - how is the performance, usage of ram and storage
    - if i like it i install it for real
    - before real installation i make a backup/image of my system
    - i test the software for some days/weeks (trial time)
    - i'll buy it when i use it after trial time (or earlier) (maybe a giveaway will give me fortune)

- if i dont like it - delete sandbox - finish

I have a lot of freeware working here, sometimes for one-time usage in a sandbox.

next...
    IMPORTANT - make a backup/image of your system before you change services!
    if you make it worse your system is messed up - i had it with my first steps
    and bv settings here on xp. meanwhile im on win7 and screwing services
    is a hot potato.

i dont use it - think about :D
    both make your system slower - but threatfire not really more safely.
    Mamutu AFAIR has feedback to server for known program - but its not freeware!?
    they ask you what to do. and in most cases its too late, the damage is done.
    (concerning malware)

i wrote it here in another thread - ah, here... real protection starts earlier:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1662827#post1662827

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  6. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

For password managers, I've found Lastpass to be good. http://www.lastpass.com/

For Outlook, I personally don't feel the need to add anything to it. The native spam filter is superb, and the only time I deal with ANY attachment from ANYONE is when I want to increase my zero day zoo.

7. EscapeVelocity

OK, I didnt get to the services with BlackViper yet, Ill make a Macrium Backup before I delve into that project.

8. EscapeVelocity

Ive poked around a little and it seems a tossup between Lastpass and Roboform. Im leaning Lastpass. Ill give it a try and see what its like.

9. EscapeVelocity

I have 7000 registry items. Is that normal?

10. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Back up all their important data such as documents and media and scan with an antivirus.

Do a fresh install of XP/service packs. Make sure you locate drivers or have an XP multi driver disk on hand.

Put back the backed up data.

- option - Disable Indexing Service, My Computer>r/c hard drive partition>click Properties>uncheck Allow Indexing Service to...>click Apply sub folders and files>click Ignore All (if needed.)

- option - Install the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service.

Use Autoruns or msconfig and uncheck any unnecessary start ups - google can help you determine these.

Set up a Windows Scheduled Task for disk clean ups.

Set up a Windows Scheduled Task for defrags.

Consider visual settings - Control Panel>System>Advanced>Performance>Settings, if they use LCD or a flat display install ClearType.

If you disable any services beware - take a note for future reference as you may disable something that the system or a program may need in the future as it may change. Best left alone but if there's likely to be no change you can usually disable :

Alerter
    Disable Distributed Link Tracking Client
    Disable Help and Support unless your going to use Help and Support
    Disable Indexing Service
    Disable IPSEC Services
    Disable Messenger disabled on SP2+
    Disable Portable Media Serial Number leave if using portable media
    Disable Remote Registry Service
    Disable Secondary Logon
    Disable SSDP Discovery Service
    Disable Telnet
    Disable Upload Manager

Install DefenseWall.

- separate options -

Install lite virtualization setting up exclusion list
    Install Security Essentials (auto)
    Set up LUA, SRP

11. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

If you've got money to spend... Buy PrevX CSI + SafeOnline and a good Virtualization software.

If you can reconsider running under Limited User Account together with PrevX... you're all set. ^^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.