Help!!! Lost hard disk space

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by xzxzxz, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xzxzxz

xzxzxz Registered Member

I just back up my 40 gig laptop to a external hard disk. And then I upgrade my laptop to 60 gig hard disk. After I install the window, I restore the '40 gig hard dirve" to the new 60 gig. However, I found out I lost 20 gig space because of this. I can't find it anyways. I even format the entire disk, it still doesn't work. Please help....

Thanks

2. perryg114

perryg114 Registered Member

Yeah that is the gotcha of this software. It only lets you create and restore exact images not go from a smaller to larger hard drive which is the very reason most poeple would want to use true image in the first place. So now they want you to by disk director as well to repartition the drive that should have been partitioned to use ALL the disk using true image. I like the software and most of the features but they left out a fundemental feature that in my mind severely cripples it evidentely for the purpose of getting you buy yet another software package.

Perry

3. dld

dld Registered Member

Follow Menorcaman's workaround in order to reclaim your entire drive.

4. xzxzxz

xzxzxz Registered Member

Any other ways to solve this problem?

Thanks

5. dld

dld Registered Member

As Menorcaman says, you could buy yourself some partition management software like Partition Magic or Acronis Disk Director Suite.

6. xzxzxz

xzxzxz Registered Member

I have PM 7, But it doesn't find the lost hard dirve space too. I am trying your direction, but it will take two hours before I found out the result. Hopefully it will work. Do you think I can reformat the hard drive or etc to solve the problem, but I did the reformat, it won't help. any idea?

Thanks

7. xzxzxz

xzxzxz Registered Member

Ok< it is finished around 30 mins, but it still doesn't work. Help....

Thanks

8. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Open ATI and create a secure zone in the unallocated space. Then click on manage secure zone and delete the zone. You will now be given the option to add the freed up space to your original partition. Job done in about 5 mins max.

Xpilot

9. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Hi Perry,

When you get a little more familiar with the functionality of Acronis True Image you will find that it is possible, indeed easy, to restore to smaller or larger drives using Imaging or cloning. There is no "gotcha" in these circumstances.

Xpilot.

10. perryg114

Well I think the features that let you adjust the restore partition size have been disabled in the free version I have but no one has told me for sure. If I read the instruction correctly you can adjust some sliders to adjust the partition size on restore but the sliders are fixed on my version is the pay version this way also? Also the secure zone features are disabled. I was under impression that the trial version was FULLY functional and just like the permanant version other than the 15 day limitation. I mean I would go to newegg right now and buy it if I knew it would work.

Perry

11. xzxzxz

xzxzxz Registered Member

Ok, I don't know why this is no working for me either, I only see around 8mb unallocated space, I can't find the lost hard disk space at all, Can anyone tell me how can I delete the whole thing, I just want to recover my disk, I don't care the data iinside anymore.

Thanks

12. perryg114

When you reinstall windows in it there is an option to delete the current partition and all the data contained within it. It will also tell you how much space is available to partition. Once you deleted the old partition(s) you can create a new one for the entire drive. Then it promts you to format the disk and continues with the XP install process.

Perry

13. xzxzxz

xzxzxz Registered Member

Thank you Perry and all other for helping me, I will try it again. But I don't need to worry about it anymore, After I talked with Dell customer and hardware support all night and day, Finally, I find one willing to replace another drive for me. WTF Ture image, this is the wrost software, never again

14. Ozmaniac

Ozmaniac Registered Member

The Acronis User Guide is not perfect but it covers all of your issues. If you had RTFM, you would have been able to do exactly what you were trying to do without losing any space or having any problems. You could have cloned from disk to disk and resized the partitions as you went, or you could have taken an image and changed the partition size as you restored.

As Xpilot correctly said...
    :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.