help - installation freeze

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by frenchie_supernova, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frenchie_supernova

frenchie_supernova Registered Member

Hey all!

I tried installing the latest 30-day trial version of Nod32 on my laptop. I forgot to uninstall my antivirus programs (Avast and Symantec Antivirus) so before clicking the Next button when it warned me to first uninstall the other programs, I went to uninstall the programs through the Control Panel (Add/Remove Programs). When I scrolled down, I saw that Nod32 was already installed (which was weird, as I haven't advanced that far in the process).

When I checked the installation dialog box, it suddenly froze. I could move the cursor, but couldn't click anything. I restarted my laptop (through the emergency restart button) and a minute after starting up, the smart security splash screen appeared, and it froze again.

I'm guessing its because of the two other antivirus programs, but since I hadn't completely installed Nod32, I don't know what happened.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Philippe_FR22

Philippe_FR22 Registered Member

Hello,

I think at this point, it is needed (and that would be a good thing) to cleanup your PC. Why ? To deeply clean other antivirus, to deeply clean registries and temp files...

I proposed :
    1) Tools (freeware)
    - CCleaner
    - Regcleaner 4.3
    - Symantec tool to uninstall symantec products (you will have to go to symantec support and download the appropriate tool to your symantec suite)

2) Completely uninstall Symantec using the provided tool and completely uninstall AVAST

3) Clean your PC
    - CCleaner (clean files)
    - Clean restore points except the last ones (to gain disk space), using disk cleaner in windows accessories (advanced tab)
    - Regcleaner : deep cleanup (manual) of your registry...
    - Ccleaner (clean registry)

4) reboot

5) Re-install NOD32

That should be OK !

Regards
    Phil (Frenchy too, so if you have any pb with my english, we can discuss in french)

3. frenchie_supernova

frenchie_supernova Registered Member

ah, but my problem is as soon as I start up my laptop, one minute after everything automatically freezes. I already have ccleaner and regcleaner installed, but I can't run them because everything freezes right away.

Should I try it in safe mode?

and I'm not really a Frenchy, just a student learning French. :)

4. Philippe_FR22

Philippe_FR22 Registered Member

Yes, OK you should try safe mode and continue to clean your PC...
    Something is freezing your PC and you need to find it and to clean it...

Just one thing : did try to come back to a previsous restore point, before NOD 32 installation ?

Did you use Symantec tool to completely remove Symantec Antivirus (recommended) ?

Regards

Phil ;-)

5. Cosmo 203

Cosmo 203 Registered Member

Some additional notes:

1. In the OP there have been mentioned Avast and Symantec. Does this mean, that there have been already 2 AV-programs installed? In this case the cause for for the problem may be much older than the installation of NOD32. And of course both programs have to get removed, before installing any other AV-program. Doing this via Safe Mode should help.

2. Als in the OP there has been the "smart security splash screen" been mentioned. If this means, that you are trying to install the ESS Suite (in contrary to the NOD AV-program), than you have also to to remove the firewall(s?), that are installed on your machine.

6. Eryan

Eryan Eset Staff Account

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.