Help! Corruption when xfering large files on gigabit network

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by shoek, Mar 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shoek

shoek Registered Member

I'm hoping someone can give me something to go on here, because I've been pulling my hair out for about a week now on this one...

I just built a new workstation, and in the course of getting the machine up and running I was using TrueImage to restore a disk image stored on the server on my gigabit network. The restore failed with an "Image Corrupted" message... long story short, I find that when I transfer very large files (like > 2GB on up to 35GB) between my server and workstation, I get invisible corruption of the file. By invisible I mean that I would never have known the file was corrupted until I went to use it had I not had TrueImage verify fail on me. I subsequently used MD5sum on the file to verify its corruption (see Test Case below).

My setup:

Server
    Asus A7M266-D, dual Athlon 2400's, 512MB RAM
    HighPoint RocketRAID 1820A with 6 Maxtor DM9+ 160GB's in RAID5 (in 64bit/66Mhz slot)
    Broadcom BCM5701-based gigabit NIC (in 64bit/66Mhz slot)

Workstation
    Asus NCCH-DL, dual Xeon 3.0Ghz, 1GB DDR400 RAM
    Maxtor DM9+ 80GB IDE drive
    Broadcom BCM5703-based gigabit NIC (in 64bit/66Mhz slot)
    Intel Pro/1000 CT onboard gigabit NIC (using the CSA 266mhz connection to the 875p Northbridge)

Network
    Netgear GCS105 Gigabit switch
    30-40ft CAT5e cable between workstation and switch
    2ft CAT5e patch cable between server and switch

Test Case
    Using Windows Explorer, find the test file on the server's share
    Copy the file to the workstation's drive. I get 20-40Mbs throughput when doing this (pretty good for gigabit IMO)
    MD5sum the file on the workstation
    Remote desktop into the server, MD5sum the file on the server

THE FILES ARE DIFFERENT!

What I've Tried (that didn't help)
    Ran new CAT5e cable
    Tried both the Intel and Broadcom gigabit NICs in the workstation
    Turned off Large Send Offload and Checksum Offload on workstation's NIC (server NIC does not support these features)
    Tried a virgin install of XP on the workstation
    Updated Broadcom BCM5703 BIOS to latest
    Updated NIC drivers to latest
    Wrote Broadcom support - they suggested turning off Large Send Offload and/or Checksum Offload, but this did not help
    Popped a old Netgear 10/100 NIC into the workstation and while slow, it transferred the file just fine
    Transferred from the server to a P3-1Ghz machine with Intel Pro/1000 MT Desktop NIC and while slower (ie 15Mbs), the file transferred just fine

What I intend to try
    Waiting for a new Gigabit switch that supports jumbo frames
    Try the BCM5703 in a 32bit/33Mhz PCI slot in the workstation

One thing that I should mention... after a late night trying to figure this out, something got me on the idea of playing with the RWIN and MTU and other TCP/IP parameters on the workstation. I used speedguide.net's TCPOptimizer to set the RWIN large (~500000bytes) and MTU to 1500 and some other settings. I did a test of a 6GB file it worked, so I was encouraged and went to sleep. Next morning I tried the big 35GB file and it corrupted it.

Anyone have any ideas that I can try? Thanks in advance everyone...
    -shoek

2. mikeblas

mikeblas Registered Member

You should be able to do better than that, especially with the hardware you have. Turning on jumbo packets will be very beneficial.

I found the HGS16ST from from Hawking Technologies to be a nice, semi-managed and very inexpensive gigabit switch that supports jumbo packets. With this switch I've gotten transfers over 85 megabytes/second.

I'm afraid I can't offer much advice about your corruption problem, though.

.B ekiM

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello shoek,

Although this <previous thread> deals with corruption of large file when xfering over USB, it might be worth running MemTest86+ overnight as suggested by a few users. Also, as mentioned in the same thread, select a fixed file size of 700MB when creating your images. The smaller individule .tib files should prevent corruption until you fathom out (hopefully!!) the root cause of your problem.

Regards

4. gszatkowski

gszatkowski Registered Member

I am having the same problem with server 8.0. File copies (robocopy and xcopy and drag/drop) in the 600mb - 4gb range are corrupted (verified via md5sum). This happens on intel 100mb pci cards on 2k and 2k3 server. Removing the acronis server program, causes the problem to stop. Copies from one server hard disk to another do not have the problem.

A better solution would be nice.

gjs

5. regnim

regnim Guest

#1 Bad Memory
    #2 Overclocking
    Bet it is one of those...

6. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.