Help: Computer making bell noise constantly

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by pattysea, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pattysea

pattysea Registered Member

I have scanned my computer with two different anti-virus software programs. It's the noise you hear when you open a window. This ding dong noise continues every 2-3 minutes. How do I get rid of it without muting the sound?

I actually timed the noise....it's dings for 6 sec. then 4 sec. almost continually. I went to my Control Panel: Sounds & Audio Devices Properties....then to Sounds....Program Events....Default Deep....and found it to be the same sound as the Windows XP Ding.

On another note:
    Yesterday someone hacked into my Yahoo account and sent a message to all my contacts requesting $. I can not receive messages or send them. My guess is that they are being retrieved by the hacker.

Could this have some thing to do with the Ding? I am clueless.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Moved Thread to this Forum for More Exposure!

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

pattysea, first, welcome to Wilders!

Can you provide the Make and Model of your PC so a Wilders member can help you?

Also, is it a single ding or many dings (how many?) in a row, every 2-3 minutes?

And more importantly, can you recall a recent change or event that resulted in this dinging sound?

4. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Knowing what OS and service pack would be a minimum for any one to help you with specificity.

In Vista,
    Control Panel>Personalization>Sounds
    You could disable it here, but wouldn't solve your problem.
    You should first check to see what sound is the same as what your hearing.
    It lists what each sound, if native to Windows, is for, and may help in narrowing down the culprit.

5. pattysea

Info on the computer:
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2
    Duo CPU
    E7400@2.80 GHz
    7.18 GHz, 1.98 GB of RAM

There is no make and model because the computer was built by a computer technician.

I am using MS Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3

The dings started approx. one week ago.

Yesterday, my email account was hacked into and all my contacts were sent a message requesting $. I cannot receive or send emails from this account. Well, technically, I can send them....but they are never received by the person addressed.

Since then I have set up a new email account. Could this all be relatedo_O?

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

pattysea, can you recall what you were doing when this happened? Did you install a program? Visit a particular Web site, etc.?

Are you using an email program (which one?) to fetch messages or do you go online (Web based?) to check messages?

Download, install and run a Quick Scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Free Version to check if your PC is clean.

7. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

The ding is just a wave sound associated with an event, knowing what event the sound is linked to can help in your description of what's happening.
    A mouse click is an event that triggers a sound to be played, a .wav file.
    That .wav can be used for one event or more than one event, from mouse clicks, window opens, window close, there are many events.
    It could be access error message event depending on privilege.

JRViejo's advisement is superior to mine and will provide you with a speedier solution.

Make sure you create a back up of your current setup with at least something like Paragon back up express. If any fix or solution creates a worse issue you can return to a working state with the back up. It's faster to restore an image than to reinstall Windows.

8. pattysea

I scanned my computer with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, found 4 infected files and removed them. After rebooting, my STOPzilla came up with 10 more infected trogan files. I still have the same bell sound.

In regard to your questions:
    I use Yahoo for my email accounts.
    I've been spending a lot of time on Facebook looking for HS classmates for our reunion. I do spend a lot of time on the computer now that I am a retired teacher.
    I haven't downloaded anything new except for a book from audible.com

Could my sound card be bad?

Thank you for your help.

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

pattysea, I don't want to alarm you too much, however, the fact that Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware found infected files, which triggered your Anti-virus to find more infected files, indicates to me that perhaps your PC is still infected. At this moment, I don't believe you have a hardware problem.

As a frequent user of Facebook, your PC could have been originally infected with the Koobface virus, and then that virus would download more nasty stuff. That ding sound could be coming from a keylogger, monitoring your every move.

Because you are really going to need focused and dedicated help (more than can be offered here at Wilders) to eradicate whatever else is inside your PC, please review If you are currently infected and seek immediate help in any of the sites listed there.

We'll leave this thread open so you can post back at a later date and tell us what happened. Best of luck!

10. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

yes looks like asocial network gift..after removing viruses,infections in malwarebytes you also "have" to empty system restore.
    check also hitman pro ,think is free for 30 days...clean your sytem with ccleaner[3 passes] or bleachbit.
    -you need at least free sandboxie,or bufferzone,prevxsafeonline to surf the net.
    or just say bye to facebook.

11. pattysea

I want to thank everyone for their help. Your many suggestions were helpful in removing the beeping sound (it was getting to be extremely annoying). I do intend on having my computer technician check to see if anything else is hiding within my system. It is so nice to know that this forum is available. Even more importantly, that you were able to put the advice in simple language. Thank you again.

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

pattysea, you're welcome!

Can you tell us what it was that finally removed the dings? Your answer might help the next person, having a similar issue, who stumbles upon this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.