Help!Can I clone from a SCSI disk to an IDE?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by vinop, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinop

vinop Registered Member

I have a win2k server with 2 SCSI drives. 1 drive is system/programs and other has data. The data drive is failing but i cannot get hold of another SCSI drive quickly but i do have some IDE drives at hand.
    Can I clone the SCSI onto an IDE drive? if so what is the best way to do it so that I can introduce the IDE as a replacement for the failing SCSI.

I am in a bit of a panic mode and new to Acronis so any help or suggestions will be appreciated .

Thank you

Vinop

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello vinop,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

You can clone SCSI drive onto an IDE drive, because Windows support the all IDE drivers and you should not have the problem with cloning. But we cannot give you the total-lot guarantee that then you can boot from IDE drive. We recommend you to clone onto SCSI drive.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. vinop

vinop Registered Member

Hi Irina

Thank you for a prompt reply.

The the failing disk is a second disk in the server and has userdata only on it (the first disk that has the OS and is ok). From what you say I guess i should be ok to clone the disk. I am new to Acronis so just getting the feel of the product.
    The failing disk has bad blocks etc. Should i use the disk clone or the image create? or are they the same thing? I would just like to lift the data and from the SCSI onto the IDE.

Thank you

Vinop

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Vinop,

When you use the "Disk Clone" wizard, it allows transferring the operating system, applications and data from one disk to another. When you use the "Create/Restore Image", at first you should create image of your hard drive and then restore it on the new disk. The result of cloning and creating image will be equal. But it's reasonably if you will clone your hard drive.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

5. vinop

vinop Registered Member

Hi Irina

Thank you again..

I will try the clone option.

Best regards

Vino

6. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

@vinop, somewhere on your server (or perhaps on your Win2K install CD) you should have a program called ntbackup.exe.

If True Image is not able to cope with the bad sectors, you can use NTBackup to do a file-by-file backup to a healty drive. If NTBackup aborts because of the disk problems, you might be able to work around the bad sectors by de-selected the files that is causing the problem. I have thread somewhere here with the hairy details of how I used NTBackup to save by laptop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.