Help! After 3 Hours and 25 DVDs my first backup has failed!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by judyw4, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. judyw4

judyw4 Registered Member

I want to continue from where I left off but don't know how?

Operation with partition "0-0" was terminated.
    Details:
    Write error (0x70004)
    Tag = 0x9D2DE1F088CBC4D4
    Error writing the file. (0x40003)
    Tag = 0x15602567D340AB0E

Thanks!

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Are you saying the backup is so large it needs more than 25 DVDs to hold it? If you do complete it, let's hope you don't have to do a restore from it, because you'll be shuffling those dvds in and out of the drive until what seems like eternity. Even a back that takes only 4 dvds is a pain to try to restore because of the need to insert the dvds in and out several times.
    The restore process does not call for the dvds in the order they were made.

Do yourself a favor and use another hard drive, external or internal, to hold the backup images.

3. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi,
    I fully agree with DwnNdrty. Be nice to yourself and buy yourself a USB external drive for your backups.
    I'm sure you deserve it!

4. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

Divide your hard drive in 2 partitions.

partition 1 = system only (make it 20 gb)
    partition 2 = data (make it any size you want)

Everytime you load a large non essential program (game etc), install it in the data partition instead of the default c:\program files.

Keep your system partition small (for fast backups and recoverys).

Your data partition you can just back that up using any dvd burning program, using no compression.

Your asking for trouble when you try to backup an entire hard drive into 25 dvd's. One of those dvd's has a deep scratch or bad dye, and your entire backup plan is destroyed.

If you can't fit your system partition backup in less than 2 dvd's, it's too big. I only backup to dvd's when I can get it to fit in 1 dvd. I don't trust the multi-spanning feature, but I have recovered my system when using a single dvd backup many times (in under 20 minutes).

Only use verbatim 16X+ blank dvd media for data backup. It's the best dvd media you can buy off the shelf. Other brands might prove unreliable for long term storage. After you burn a dvd, use the quality test feature of your burning software to check it, you need at least 90 percent quality for it to be reliable.

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Patient" Doc, it hurts when I do this."
    Doctor: "Then don't do that anymore."

Unless you own stock in a DVD manufacturer, the nicest thing you can do for yourself is step up to another harddisk. It's like the diff between walking and riding the train. And drives are rather inexpensive to buy. IDE drives can be had really cheap becasue everyone is moving inventory to Sata.

CDs and DVDs are convenient for music and movies and a few other things but for backups, they're about as painful as you can make things.

Just think about how much you're time is worth, not to mention the aggravation you can avoid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.