HDM 2012 released

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Gorkster, Mar 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorkster

Gorkster Registered Member

It appears HDM 2012 was just released. I've been watching for it, hoping for better scheduling options built into the UI for the imaging portion of the program. I've been watching for incremental backups, and the ability to create "backup chains" and erasing old chains on a defined schedule.

It doesn't appear the Pro version has been released yet, but after going through the manual last night HDM 2012 isn't going to work for me. I realize scripting in HDM is very powerful, but I don't want to be forced into using it for what I consider to be basic tasks for an imaging program.

So, barring changes in the Pro version, I'll still be watching the market for other solutions.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I have no interest in sector-based incrementals, scheduling and automatic clean-ups but I understand why some users would want them.

I got into Paragon after abandoning Acronis True Image and I was surprised to find out the limitations but for my purposes Paragon is fine.

My previous life entailed Fortran, Assembler, C programming and being a system manager for a fairly large multi-minicomputer facility. I have no desire to learn the scripting language and I think it would be totally incomprehensible to many users. It is nice having the scripting language available but it is totally idiotic that you would have to consider using it to do tasks that should be included in an easy to use form in the user interface.

3. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

What are these basic tasks that can only be performed with scripting?

4. seekforever

I'd be grateful if you show me which option to select when setting up my image backup to verify the archive immediately after creation. I haven't found it yet.

5. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You won't believe the speed of HDM12 - fastest imaging I have ever seen.

Completely new engine.

Highly recommended

6. Gorkster

I indicated in my original post, but just to clarify:

7. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I never had any to desire to do anything like.

Haven't spotted it as a gui option.

Probably because there is little demand for it - that is why it is one of the things scripting is for.

8. JosephB

JosephB Registered Member

SIW2,

But, then how do you explain why Backup imaging pgms like "Acronis TI" and "StorageCraft - Shadow Protect" have added/offer (to different degrees) the features of "Backup chains" and erasing old chains on a defined schedule ?

9. fireworker

fireworker Registered Member

Acronis likes to fasten all sorts of "whistles and bells".
    Incidentally, Paragon have a System Backup (I'm not used).

10. seekforever

I would scarcely call the ability to do incremental image backup chains and the ability to manage them an obscure request.

Like I said elsewhere, fooling with the scripting language is not something I'd want to be bothered with just to do what should be a "pushbutton" function.

11. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

And that's why I won't be upgrading. No thanks, Paragon.

12. Gorkster

It actually seems to be an "industry standard" of sorts. HDM seems to be more the exception than the rule. Same for offering incremental as well as differential image backups.

13. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

I purchased my “family pack” (3 PCs in one household) license for the Paragon HDM 11 Suite on January 04, 2012 and have noted this recent release of HDM 12. When I log in to my Paragon account and click the upgrade option there, however, it tells me that no upgrade is available!

It sure doesn’t seem right if is there will be no HDM 12 upgrade offer made available for purchasers of HDM 11 like myself. In fact, based on my own past experience, most of their competitors would provide a free version upgrade for any such very recent purchases.

I've contacted Paraon sales about it and will post their response here for any other users who may be in a similar situation.

14. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi Arvy,

I am using the HDM12 Pro.

It is a bug step forward from the 11 series.

There are problems with the mount drivers in Windows 8 - a lot of software seems to be having that trouble.

I expect Paragon will fix that.

They have only just released HDM12 - so I expect they will offer an upgrade deal - they just haven't got around to it yet.

They will probably email it to you.

I have had a liitle go at wcp pe - got explorer, disk mgmt, ie10 and a few other things working.

Still quite a bit to do, though

15. fireworker

Fully endorse.
    I'm sure that the misunderstanding will be resolved satisfactorily. Now maybe did not have time to update the Paragon site, weekend yet ..

16. fireworker

SIW2
    I wonder why HDM12pro not run in Win8 in any compatibility mode, and HDM12suite runs and works fine?

17. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

I suspect you're both right. Just a little delay in providing current users with an upgrade path offer. Glad to hear that the v12 engine is so much faster than v11. Although speed isn't my first priority for backup software, it was a bit of a slowpoke in its class. Hope they've tweaked a few of those interface anomolies as well.

Good luck with your wcp pe efforts, SIW2. If you can get it working without the need for WAIK files, etc., it will certainly be very welcome. Let me know if you need a "guinea pig" at any stage.

18. JosephB

I was browsing through the B&R 10 and B&R 11 Manuals and it talks about a feature called "File Complement", describing it as "Incrementals to a Sector based Image". Has anyone tried this ?

Update: Forget what I said. Just read it again and tried it. The way its worded is confusing. It does *not* really do what we mean as "Incrementals to a Sector based Image".

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  19. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

Well, that was a little bit confusing, but it appears that Paragon is gradually getting its HDM 12 upgrade arrangments sorted out.

At first I received a reply from Paragon Support stating: "We are currently working on the upgrade offers in your account. But I created an individual purchase/upgrade link with 50% discount for Paragon Hard Disk Manager 12 Professional for you."

Fortunately, I didn't jump at that 50% discount offer immediately as I subsequently received a Paragon EService notice for: "Your Product Information for Paragon Hard Disk Manager 12 Suite (English) Free Software Upgrade." That one included a new serial number and product key along with direct download links for the HDM 12 Suite and its WinPE CD Image.

Haven't yet got it installed under all three of my OSes as I generally find it safer to uninstall older versions first. But I'm looking forward to trying out the new speedier engine.

Guess the bottom line is "all's well that ends well." Thanks, Paragon.

20. JosephB

SeekForever,

Do you have your image backup set up as script under the paragon gui script tan athen just Execute it On-Demand ? If yes, I can tell you what command to add to the script to execute a verify of the backup archive immediately after creation. If this is what you meant, let me know and I give you the script syntax/command to do this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.