HD Crashed..What is the better way to restore?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by svacharya, Feb 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. svacharya

svacharya Registered Member

My system crashed. I have the Acronis Rescue CD that I can boot off. The OS + data is backed up on an xternal MAxtor drive. There are 10 volumes (Full backup includes OS + incrementals).

What is the preferred way to restore the 10 volumes? Is it using the rescue media? Or is it to reinstall XP, etc and restore from Windows?

Thx

2. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi svacharya,

You can create a system disk image from within Windows, but to restore the system disk, you must boot from Rescue CD. It's made for this very purpouse.

You could indeed reinstall Windows and TI and start the restore from Windows, but you would be redirected into the Linux rescue environment anyway. So there is no point in doing it the hard way.

3. svacharya

svacharya Registered Member

Hi bvolk:

So if I understood you correctly, what you are suggesting is to boot off rescue media and restore the volumes?

Can I restore all 10 volumes at one time?

Thx

4. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi again svacharya,

Yes, boot from Rescue CD, select the last incremental as the image to be restored from and TI will carry out the restore using the whole chain of incrementals as well as the original full image in one sweep.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello svacharya,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that independently of which volume (.tib file) of the image archive you have selected for the restoration Acronis True Image 9.0 will recognize all of them as the entire image archive (all volumes should reside in the same folder) and suggest you several restore points according to the dates when the initial full image and consequent incremental images were created.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 in the respective User's Guide.

You may also find Acronis True Image 9.0 FAQ page helpful.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

6. schadfield

schadfield Registered Member

Is this true? The Acronis rescue disk will not boot on my system ([Acronis #468551]) but I was assuming that in a pinch I would be able to perform a minimal Windows install then subsequently perform a full restore from within Windows.

If a full restore always needs the Acronis Linux boot to work then I can't restore?!

7. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi schadfield,

In the Windows installation of TI, there is also a standalone Linux version (the same as on the Rescue CD) that can be launched with Startup Recovery Manager (if you set up Secure Zone and enable SRM) or will start automatically when you try to restore the system disk from Windows, after the warning that some system files are in use and the prompt that you should restart the computer.

After restart, the computer boots in the Linux version and you can proceed as you would after booting from Rescue CD.

8. schadfield

Exactly: the Linux disk does not work on my system so I will be unable to perform a restore even if I begin that process from a minimal Windows installation.

9. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi again shadfield,

If your system doesn't boot from Rescue CD, that in my opinion doesn't necessarily mean that it will not boot into Linux at all.

But maybe you will need to create Secure Zone and enable SRM first. I'm not sure because it's a long time since I performed that procedure in version 7.

10. schadfield

All the issues I have seen with the rescue disk exist for the SRM as well. All the tests that Acronis requested I try using the restore CD I also repeated with the SRM run out of a secure zone.

11. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi schadfield,

Now, yes, I understand the situation.

What I now don't understand is the reason for your sending in post #6 in the first place.

Anyway, enjoy.

12. schadfield

Huh? I made post #6 because I was hoping someone would address the query I raised in it.

It is now clear that I will be unable to restore using TI9 until Acronis release a new version that supports my motherboard chipset correctly.

13. noonie

noonie Registered Member

schadfield

That is why you should make a complete restore of your system in order to test if Ti works completely with your hardware. I'm afraid far too many users find this out after a crash.

In your situation, you should be able to supply Acronis with your specs and they can give you a boot iso to download and burn.

Alternatively, you may try the Bart method.

14. schadfield

The boot ISO they gave me did not work. This is extremely frustrating. I gave up running Linux on my home PCs because everyone supports Windows and I can buy off the shelf software that "just works". I ordered what I had thought was Windows backup software only to find I can't use the restore facility because the vendor cannot supply a Linux boot disk that supports my hardware.

15. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Download the BartPe plugin from the Acronis Web site. Also download BartPE here: http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ and build a bootable Bartpe CD. You can then boot to a Widnows environment and restore that way. Search the forum for BartPE there are several threads. Here is one thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=110901&highlight=bartpe

16. noonie

noonie Registered Member

For interest's sake, what is your hardware?

17. schadfield

Getting BartPE working looks like a lot more effort than I care to expend. I really wish I had tried the Acronis restore disk before buying a license because then I would have realised it didn't work and could have saved myself £35.

18. schadfield

ASUS Vintage AE1 barbones system with a SiS chipset.

SiS provide Linux drivers on their web site. I have succesfully booted an Ubuntu LiveCD on it. Acronis support have proved unable to supply me with a working boot image.

19. noonie

noonie Registered Member

Certainly is a barbones with a decent price.

Depending on the data/if any, you want to retrieve.

1 Wait for Acronis to support your chipset.
    2 Do the Bart thing.
    3 Restore to a new hardrive in another system that boots with the Ti boot disk. (just be carefull not to allow the new hard drive to boot in that system)

Apparently Asus gives you their own imaging software with this system called Recover Pro. Have never tried it.

20. schadfield

I do remember seeing a disk with that label. I must find out exactly what it is...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.